First cruise ever, it was everything I expected

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Cruise Director

9 Night Eastern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)
Sail Date: March 26, 2014

I really wasn't sure what to expect on my first cruise ever, but this one met my every expectation.   Actually it was better than I expected.  When I saw that there were "specialty" resturants on the cruise I feared that the included dining was sub-par.  It was not the case, In fact we ate at the 5 complimentary venues every meal and were delighted every time.   The items that stuck out in my mind were:

Everything was spotless - I was never aware of the staff cleaning, or taking out the trash in the public places, but I never saw a bathroom in dissarray, a trash can overflowing, or so much as a spill on the floor.

Never aware of the Staff moving about.  - All elevators and stairways for the passengers never had staff in them.  This gave the whole trip a feeling of extravagance that I really appreciated.

Glasses instead of Plastic cups, linens instead of paper napkins.   - again made me feel special.

Never a wait for dinner, or a lounge chair on deck.  -  I was especially gratefully surprised how well the Gem absorbed 2300 guests without anywhere seeming crowded.

Staff remembered my name. -  All I had to do was meet them once, and it was always "hello jonathan" right down to the waiter, bartender, or maid.

Sure these things seem like small things, but I've been on enough vacations where places cut these corners, and when a resort doesn't I appreaciate it.

main dining room was wonderful. felt good dressing up.

got some dance lessons, karoke, ...

shows great.

the circus was cude but I didn't have any kids.

the tops.

spotless, well maintained.

small but fine. next time definitely a balcony

Blue lagoon chicken wings and brownie sundae for lunch were great. Main Dining room stripped steak was about the best steak I've every had (get the butternut squash with it.) don't be afraid to special order dinners as well, I mixed and matched parts of the different dinners

its home.
toured the fort. really nice.
snorkeling, beach, great.
turtle snorkeling, and beach. great.
rain forest and caves. wow.