Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Total Vegetarians and non-smokers should look elsewhere

Sail Date: December 14, 2013

Other than soups and veggie burgers they specially prepared for me, I would say that over 95% of all prepared foods contained some meat, dairy or fish.  If you wanted some dish specially prepared they had no sauces that did not contain meat, dairy or fish.  Yes, I could eat salads all week, or steamed vegetables all week, or ask the pizza chef to prepare me a pizza without cheese.  The casino on Level 6 allowed cigarette smoking and the smell was terrible outside the casino.  They need some type of filtration system to keep that smell  inside the casino.  Also, they allowed outside cigarette smoking on the same level as the walking path (I believe it was Level 7).  You could not walk around the path without encountering the cigarette smoke.  At the very least the cigarette smoking should be confined to an outside area at the rear of the ship where the smoke will blow backwards and not into the face of non-smokers.

New York, New York
long line thru customs. Use a porter to avoid the long lines. Only costs a tip. Half of the customs stalls were not in use.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
8 ships docked at once. Beautiful sight.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Samana, Dominican Republic

Blue Lagoon Cafe, open 24 hours, did not have enough staff and offered no food for total vegetarians.