Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Refrain from booking an international cruise with NCL.

Sail Date: December 28, 2015

Room Type: Suite

Booked this cruise for a holiday family vacation. Booked everything from the actual cruise, to flights, airport transportation, and shore excursions through Norwegian. Needless to say that this was not an inexpensive vacation.

When we arrived at Barcelona the airline did not bring four of six luggages from Miami. Although, it was the airline who did not physically place the luggages on the plane, I did no business with the airline and Norwegian should have more control of making sure luggages get to the city of port. Four people boarded the cruise chip with no clothes.

When we went to guest services, they refused to take any responsibility and offered $200 onboard credit. $200 for four people/ 3 room reservations. We had no other choice but to purchase clothes at the gift shop. As if the fact that they carry no real variety of clothes, any decent sweaters for the cold, and no undergarments, a shirt was approx. $80 and pants no less than $120. Norwegian refused to give us anything other than $200 onboard credit for the entire cruise for four people without luggage.

When I asked what the policy was for lost luggage and onboard credit, they said it was $200 per room/reservation. When I explained that we had 3 staterooms, Aminta, the guest services manager, said that she would have to get back to me. After chasing for her, she said we were not applicable because we had only made 1 bag claim (well, of course why complicate things and make 1 instead of 4).

I had to cancel shore excursions because my grandfather did not receive his medication and could not walk anywhere due to heart problems. In addition, he was feeling short of breath and we had to visit the medical center on board. After explaining the situation, they still charged us with the consultation and cost of medication.

I spent more time at the guest services desk than anywhere else on the cruise. The staff did not seem to make our serious luggage problem a priority. We had to check in regularly to make sure they would reach out to the airline/airport to check on the status of our luggages.

After four days without any clothing, we received our luggages to find out one was still missing. I called Tamera De Beer, one of the guest services coordinator, to find out Norwegian had been giving the airport/airline the wrong information about the last luggage. One person did not have luggage all cruise long because of the incompetence of the Norwegian's staff.

In addition, reserving specialty restaurants was impossible. We managed to get one dinner at 5:30 PM and not at the restaurant of choice. Restaurant service was poor, even when the restaurant was not at maximum capacity.

Overall, the worst cruising experience I have had.

We had to get our safe replaced, a phone in another stateroom, and shower water leakage in the last stateroom. We had to chase out stewardess around to demand he vacuumed our room and show him the amount of hair that was collecting on the carpet.