Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Epic vacation

Sail Date: June 08, 2014

Room Type: Suite

I had a Haven Spa Suite Cabin 14139, which gave us the ability to use the spa facilities and thermal pools as much as we wanted, while still having access to all the amenities of the Haven area on Floors 16 and 17, including a butler.  The concierge service was the best!  Ryan and Roel were very hands on in getting dinner and show reservations for us, and they were always on the dock each morning to ensure we got to our tour buses.  We also received priority tendering back to the ship after our tours.  On port days, Haven guests also had use of an express elevator.  With almost 5000 people on the ship, this is a great perk! The Haven Restaurant served great food, and there never was a wait.  The Haven Staff was the best on the ship.

I also ate in 3 Specialty Restaurants.  Cagney's Steakhouse had great steaks, but slow service.  The Cucina Restaurant was one of the worst Italian food restaurants I have ever been to.  I ordered spaghetti and sausage, which was not served with a red sauce, but instead an olive oil which did not have enough sauce.  The service was also very slow.  This was not worth the $15 per person up charge. The French Restaurant, Le Bistro, had great food and fast efficient, friendly service.  For an extra $10, we ordered a great lobster tail meal, which came with 2 tails.  The staff, including the management made great effort to make all dining experiences positive and memorable.

Haven Restaurant was excellent. Buffet and free restaurants were overcrowded, and food quality was only fair.
Service in the Haven was excellent. The buffet service was horrible. Every day the staff begins cleaning up half hour before closing. They are not friendly, and appear to just want to close up. When I asked one server behind the counter for something he said, we're closed. It was only 9:50 PM and the buffet doesn't close until 10 PM.
Blue Man Group and SoulSensation was fabulous!
Activities were not well publicized. You had to read the daily newsletter to know what activities were going on.
Lots of excursions to select from. They are expensive, coated to other cruise lines, but also more organized. We did have a 2 hour delay returning from a Rome Tour die to a mixup with our guide and bus driver.
Fabulous cabin with wood-like floor, a jacuzzi tub, balcony, and spa rain bird shower.
Barcelona, Spain
We spent an extra say after the cruise. It rained, so we went to the Picasso Museum. You can easily spend 4 hours here. It has Picasso's portrait sketches and paintings from when he first started art as a young boy. I loved his pigeon paintings as well.
Naples, Italy
I took the 4 hour Pompeii Tour. Very interesting, but a lot of walking, and hot in the summer.
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
I took the tour of Rome and the Vatican. It was a full day. If I did this again, I would focus on the Vatican. We ran through the museum and Sistine Chapel due to time constraints that I did not feel I could fully appreciate or enjoy the sites.
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
I took the Pisa Climb Tour. Going to the top of the Pisa Tower is a fantastic view, plus the bells at the top are a great photo op. However, the tour dies not allow very much free time and I did not have time to see the inside of the Cathedral or other buildings.
Cannes, France
I took the Nice and Monte Carlo Tour. Buy your lunch and souvenirs in Nice. Everything is much cheaper there.
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
Great shopping promenade. I did not take a tour, I just took a cab into town. 10 Euros each way. If you are 2 or more people, this is cheaper than taking the ship' s shuttle bus at $12 each. The shuttle had a large wait, but none for a cab.

This is a huge ship with only 2 areas with elevators. Plan your travel around the ship well to minimize waiting for elevators. They are almost impossible on port days when getting off the ship and at dinner time.