Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

First Time Cruise on Holland America

Sail Date: February 14, 2016

This was my first time cruising and I had a great time!  The quick version is this:  beautiful ship, great staff (especially the Lido deck cabaña staff), fun entertainment (comedian and juggler were awesome). The ship never felt crowded. The food was problematic for me - I'm dairy free and, while they knew that upon my arrival, none of the food staff knew what was in the food, there were no labels and 95% of it had dairy.  For example, there were no desserts that were dairy free except plain fruit.  The spa was beautiful but the staff less than helpful.  Overall, a great cruise.

Huge cabin (2 could fit at the same time in the bathroom, king bed). Veranda was great - I've heard it is smaller than others on the ship but was fine for us. Tons of storage under the bed and 2 large closets for space.
The only time the Master Chef table was offered was the one night we had in San Juan. And the cooking class was set with only a few hours notice, so we couldn't do that either.
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Grand Turk Island
Don't do the reef snorkel. The reef is mostly dead with almost no life. The stingray experience was fun.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You don't have to take a paid tour, you can walk yourself and see most of the sites and go at your own pace.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Best snorkeling at Coki Beach.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

We had as you wish dining but after the first night in the Main Dining Room I gave up (the wait staff had no idea if there was any dairy in any of the meals and had no options). Ate at Tamarind and it was amazingly good, highly recommend it.

1 Comment