Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Second Mate

My experience on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean Empires cruise.

Sail Date: June 29, 2014

I was very disappointed with the food in the dining room. I have cruised for over 100 days with Holland America and have always enjoyed the choice and quality of food in the dining rooms.  In fact, I cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Caribbean the first year it was put in service and the food was excellent.  I hope this experience will not be repeated on future Holland American cruises.  The dining room staff were excellent. The cabin stewards were also very good.  The shore excursions were good except for the night gondola ride in Venice.  We paid $129.00 for a 30 minute gondola ride, water bus ride and a long walk from the water bus to the gondola.  Extremely overpriced!!  The entertainment was not good in the theatre.  The ship is very nice and the staff were all pleasant and helpful.

Not what I expect from Holland America.
Dining room staff and cabin stewards were excellent
Not bad, but not very good
Children's Programs N/A
Enjoyed my first trip to Venice's scenery ,etc.
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece
Olypia
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Parthenon and the Acropolis
Cruise Dardanelles
Istanbul, Turkey
Lesbos (Lesvos), Greece N/A - could not stop due to the weather
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
My second visit to Ephesus, but still enjoyed it.
Santorini, Greece
My favorite island - beautiful scenery
Argostoli, Kefalonia, Greece
Not a lot on this island - not as pretty as most of the other ones
Venice, Italy