My experience on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean Empires cruise.

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Contributor Level: Second Mate

12 Night Mediterranean Empires (Venice Roundtrip)
Sail Date: June 29, 2014
Ship: Nieuw Amsterdam

I was very disappointed with the food in the dining room. I have cruised for over 100 days with Holland America and have always enjoyed the choice and quality of food in the dining rooms.  In fact, I cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Caribbean the first year it was put in service and the food was excellent.  I hope this experience will not be repeated on future Holland American cruises.  The dining room staff were excellent. The cabin stewards were also very good.  The shore excursions were good except for the night gondola ride in Venice.  We paid $129.00 for a 30 minute gondola ride, water bus ride and a long walk from the water bus to the gondola.  Extremely overpriced!!  The entertainment was not good in the theatre.  The ship is very nice and the staff were all pleasant and helpful.

Not what I expect from Holland America.

Not bad, but not very good

N/A

Dining room staff and cabin stewards were excellent

Olypia
Parthenon and the Acropolis

Lesbos (Lesvos), Greece Did not visit port

N/A - could not stop due to the weather
My second visit to Ephesus, but still enjoyed it.
My favorite island - beautiful scenery
Not a lot on this island - not as pretty as most of the other ones