Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review to Mexico

Best Vacation for all tastes

Sail Date: September 26, 2010

This was my first cruise, I had no idea what to expect. Pulling into the port, I saw the ship and it took my breath away, it was so HUGE! Our room was wonderful, and perfect for two people, a balcony on the 8th deck, midship. Hardly any motion. The promenade, pools, and all areas were clean, impressive, and so cool!. We had an amazing first few days, just lounging in the solarium sans kids. Cool breeze, drink and good book in hand, it was bliss. We aren't participators in any silly games, i.e. belly flop contest, but it was a riot to watch and laugh. Shows were fun. Windjammer cafe, bleh, basic mediocre buffet food. Lunch in the rhapsody dining room, lame. Dinner in the dining room, wonderful! The coffee shop was always there as a back up for a quick snack. Frozen yogurt on the pool deck, great! Johnny rockets, fun and great food. The port days were scary. Cabo, a fishing town that had makeshift flea market setups selling (aggressively) the same crap over and over again. Dicey at best. We went on a snorkel excursion. meh. it was fun, but stressful, and I got stung by jellyfish, no biggy, they were tiny, but they sting. Mazatlan, went to the Aroma Spa, best massage EVER. No one speaks english except the receptionist, so be prepared. Annnnd dont drink the water they offer you after, just bring your own. Also, I had to walk back to the ship 1.5 miles in the swampy heat because my cab never came back to get me. No shops, lots of starring people, a few naked kids, and homeless people later, I made it back no harm no foul. But massage relaxation gone... lol Husband went mountain biking and brought back a tick. yuck, but he had fun. Puerto Vallarta, do the Unimog tour, it was a blast, I learned so much, and saw so much. Real culture, real towns! Not tourist traps. Leather shops were cool. Our guide Sandra was totally awesome! It was worth the price and after a full day, I was beat! Last two days at sea were relaxing and fun. Staff wasnt overly attentive or friendly, No one was fake kissing my butt. But our room attendant and waiter were really nice. I just was bothered sometimes by the continuous pushing of extra stuff, like alcohol, and dining in the upgraded restaurants. And the shops had a crappy selection of wares. They could make a good amount of money if they had a wider selection of merchandise, and cruise stuff. There jewelry store was barren, however the cheap jewelry was abundant. well, I'd probably cruise to a different country next time, but it was great for a first cruise. I will definately cruise again.

Pros: Ocean front room without the traffic, sandy feet, and cost

Cons: The mexican ports full of junk sellers, and the cruise ship full of junk sellers!

Recommends Mariner of the Seas? Yes!

Some were so fun, IceSkating was a blast. Husband loved the rockwall, and dodgeball. The dancing and shows were TOO late to go to.
Food was lacking and stale in most dining situations except dinner time. Not a whole lot of options.
Some were amazing, most were just gettin through the day of helping us endless tourists!
Clean, and well maintained.
Loved our room, loved the layout. Lots of room for a cruise ship room.
Mazatlan, Mexico
Port and industry feeling to the town. Did not feel unsafe. AROMA SPA great.
Don't Miss: Aroma spa massage. The best.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
scary, hold on to your wallet,you stick out like the cruise ship sucker that you are. Do an excursion instead! I would have loved to go deep sea fishing. Snorkeling from a zodiac boat was fun.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Green and exotic feeling. Although the port is right across from a walmart/sams club. it feels more like a real city. Shopping isnt so in your face. UNIMOG tour was worth every penny.
Don't Miss: Go off the beaten path on the Unimog Tour, so COOL!