Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Right cruise to the right ports at the right time of year.

Sail Date: May 13, 2016

Two full days in Barcelona, plus seeing the western Mediterranean islands, made for much nicer stops than our previous cruise in this area (on Celebrity, Rome and Florence are not really port cities). Some of the areas of the ship seemed nicer on Celebrity, but our stateroom was as nice; and we really liked having a balcony off the back of the ship. The food was good, but I was not crazy about " my time" dining. It took too long to eat in the dining room, and the Windjammer was usually packed. Specialty dining was nice, but I'm not sure it was worth the extra money (since I end up feeling stuffed). I felt foolish that I purchased the "premium" drink package. Over a thousand bucks for the cruise for my wife and I, and the wine selection was only fair at best. I would have been way better off buying a nicer bottle of wine and drinking less. Service at the bars was variable (with the exception of the Filipino gentleman at Vintages whose name I vowed to remember, but I don't). Service at dinner was good (the server we had most nights, Leau, was exceptional), our room steward was very good (Arietty).

View off the back off ship was awesome. It was very quiet, and the long walk to get anywhere was good exercise.

1 Comment