Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Coastal - West Coast

Purser

Magnificent Ship;With Some Glitches

Sail Date: October 03, 2015

We arrived at the Port of Los Agngeles at noon, the exact time RCCL advised in an email the day before. Had a difficult time finding Jewel of the Seas because it had been moved to an auxiliary berth over a mile away from the cruise port. When we entered to drop off bags, I was advised to drop them off and then park back at the cruise port and a shuttle bus would bring us back to the ship. Fair enough I thought. When the bus arrived back at Jewel of the Seas we encountered a very long line outside the temporary tent set up for the embarkation. After standing in the sun for over 40 minutes we finally made it into the shade. Shortly thereafter, a new line appeared next toours and passengers swarmed to the front. RCCL personnel were overwhelmed and any semblance of order was lost. Platnimum and Diamond lines were a joke. People just jped into the first line they saw. The power to the computers in the tent had failed and boarding had to processed manually. The temperature in the tent was over 100 degrees and there was very little water available. RCCL personnel said it was not their fault and to blame it on the port. Bottom line we finally got on the ship at 4 PM,  just prior to the safety brief.

After finally getting to our room things improved immensely. This is a great ship and the decor was fantastic. Food in the dining room was the best I have encountered on more than 14 cruises. The waiters were accomplished and made the cruise experience worthwhile. The buffet in the Windjammer was a different story. The food was bland and underseasoned. The only saving grace was breakfast when we had on debarkation day. We took all meals in the dining room.

I can not comment on the ports as I twisted a knee on the shuttle bus prior to embarkation and was unable to walk enough to go ashore.My experience was limited to my room and the dining room.

I would love to give Jewel of the Seas another chance.

A little far from elevators.

The forward elevators are much less crowded than the midship elevators.