A friendly, fabulous ship!

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

6 Night Western Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 07, 2007
Ship: Jewel of the Seas
I was really happy about Jewel of the Seas and choosing Royal Caribbean. We had seen a lot of other boats at the ports on our itinerary and the Jewel was so much nicer than any of the others. It is a beautiful ship, and the service was overall excellent. We loved exploring the ship, relaxing, and for a first cruise I was very impressed. We had a few bad days of weather in Mexico but the ship crew and director adjusted and really tried to still make things lively and upbeat even though people were down about the weather. The facilities are just beautiful- I was so surprised about things we found on the boat. A GREAT time!

I liked the dining room service, but the food was not great. The buffet had a lot of options but I wasn't always satisfied with what I was eating. Portions in dining room were smaller, especially for appetizers. Nevertheless, I was never hungry, and I especially liked the snacks in the Solarium and at the Seaview Cafe.

Lots of options for activities- had fun with the karaoke with the band. Schedule was packed, but also our cruise had a lot of long port stops so we weren't on the boat so much.

Everyone was very friendly and I was happy with the service. At one point at dinner I wanted a different appetizer and was not thrilled with our waiter's response, but that was the only sour point. Otherwise the staff was great!

The ship is impressive- the public areas provide a ton of lounge areas and places to explore. No shortage of bars, or people hawking drinks. It was very clean and easy to navigate after awhile. Solarium is beautiful, though I expected there to be more and bigger pools.

Really happy with our room. We had a big oceanview window, and our attendant kept the room very clean and even had towel-animal shapes folded for us!
Too touristy, though we rented a scooter and saw the island and enjoyed that. Overall it was dirty and depressing though.
Don't Miss: Getting out of the port and exploring
Another tourist trap of a place. Lots of tacky crap for sale. We rented a waverunner and enjoyed that, especially since it was a windy day and the waves were huge.
Beautiful beaches, though for some reason the snorkeling wasn't so great- Stingray City was closed due to the wind and choppy waves.
Don't Miss: The public beach is very nice
Nice beaches, cute town.
Don't Miss: Fort Taylor Beach

Pros: The array of things to do on the boat and the itinerary

Cons: The food was not top-notch but still it was decent

Recommends Jewel of the Seas? Yes!