A good experience but...

Island Princess Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Contributor Level: Third Mate

17 Night Venetian Passage (Ft. Lauderdale To Venice)
Sail Date: March 21, 2015
Ship: Island Princess
Cabin Type: Suite
Cabin Number: D522

We intended to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary with a memorable cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Venice, Italy.  Although we knew that this was this ship's last cruise before dry dock, from the beginning  things did not go as smoothly as expected.  First, the luggage problem.  We arrived by means of a taxi from the airport and could not find where to drop our luggage.  At the end my wife and I ended up taking our luggage all the way to our cabin because the port personnel nor the ships' staff assisted us with it.  Although we maintained a positive attitude throughout the voyage, we have never been so uncomfortable with a cruise before.  The ship seemed tired as judged by its maintenance and the energy of its crew.  For example, a refrigerator in the room was completely inoperable but the maintenance technician stated it was normal.  I could have had the refrigerator replaced but opted not for the aggravation.  From then on we were not surprised by all other incidents encountered throughout the sailing.  As we began dragging our luggage we ended dragging our luggage from the ship to a tram about 500 yards away from the ship in Venice to the Piazzole in Venice to pick up a rental vehicle.  We must have gotten a good deal on the voyage but we paid dearly for the extras.  I will have to make it up to my wife because we did not enjoyed this anniversary as we did with Holland America during our 35th anniversary.  I got what I paid for.

Port personnel and ship staff at, both, boarding and disembarking were terrible

Bad equipment and terrible odors throughout the floors.

The refrigerator did not work. The remote control for the tv's was worn out and some keys did not work. We did not get robes, as requested, and only after we mentioned it to our room attendant we were offered robes. Room service for fruits, breakfast and other services were deficient, and only after complaining the desired services were obtained
Terrible port experience with Princess
Everything closed for the holidays and weekend
This is not Rome. Rome is a long ride away!
Terrible disembarkment