Island Princess Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Surprisingly a very good cruise

Sail Date: October 10, 2013

Room Type: Suite

My wife and I went on the Island Princess to the Panama Canal out of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. in October 2013. We stayed in a hotel near the port the day before which I highly recommend. I must tell you that we were both very happy with the cruise. I am a large critic of cruises as I have gone on about 10 or 11 so far. I seem to look at the negative more than the positive but this cruise was a very good experience. The mini suite was good, the steward was good, food was good. The round dinner rolls were the best. They were crisp and delicious.  The only slight thing we did not like was if you ask for a table for two you will be given one, but it is right next to another table for two which really makes it a table for four. The only difference is about 6 inches in between.

The shore excurtions were good and the ship layout was user friendly pretty much.

I would recommend this ship and cruise.

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Oranjestad, Aruba
Many shops were not open as it was a Sunday and our ship was the only one in port.
Cartagena, Colombia
We took a shore excursion but we did not see all that was to be included. We complained and received partial money back on the excursion.
Panama Canal (Cruise Into Canal)
Colon, Panama
Puerto Limon, Costa Rica
George Town, Grand Cayman

Best to book a hotel near the port a day before. Make sure you confirm your seating arrangements as soon as you get on the ship.