Island Princess Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Third Mate

Panama Canal experience

Sail Date: January 09, 2013

For those like me who enjoy history, the opportunity to learn about the efforts to build the Panama Canal and then to travel through it were exciting. The day before we entered the Canal, the cruise offered a wonderful presentation of the history and what to look for in the canal. The stop at Cartagena Columbia to see the old town and the Inquisition museum was also fascinating. This was our first Princess cruise and I would rate it near if not at the top of our cruise experiences. While navigating through the Princess web site could be improved upon, everything else about the cruise, from the food to the programming, was top notch. I was somewhat concerned about being bored with the last 5 days being sea days. Insread, I had so many activities that I wanted to participate in, that I was unable to attend them all!
Children's Programs Not a cruise I would recomment for small children
Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida
Easy access from Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Oranjestad, Aruba
It rained hard during our tour which taints my view of this stop.
Cartagena, Colombia
The Inquisition museum is a must!
Panama Canal Transit
Wonderful!
Fuerte Amador, Panama
The tour to see the new lock construction was interesting.
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
It was very hot. Probably would not do the excursion on the train and river boat.
San Pedro (Los Angeles), California
Disembarcation and customs went very smoothly through this port.

Attend as many of the educational and port lectures as you can! At least on the cruise we were on they did not just emphasize the jewelry buying opportunites.