The Perfect Vacation!

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review to Transatlantic

13 Night Transatlantic Eastbound (Ft. Lauderdale To Southampton)
Sail Date: May 01, 2016
Ship: Independence of the Seas

Loved this transatlantic cruise.  60% of guests were from the UK so the menu items had a nice British touch.  I'm a healthy 61 years old and did the Flow Rider (I've never surfed before), climbed the rock wall twice to the top, ice skated (first time since college), and attended the enrichment lectures.  We participated in many of the trivia contests, attended most of the shows, and the food was great.  The service was outstanding and I can't imagine a better way I could have spent the 13 days!  Also did the final RC excursion to Windsor castle and LHR.  It was a good value and the tour guide was excellent.  I'd do this cruise again in a heartbeat!Happy

I've heard snooty persons say they'd never get an interior cabin. I disagree, I'm on the ship to enjoy the SHIP (so I don't plan on sitting in the room and looking out the window!). Sure, it wasn't a suite but was perfectly fine for my wife and me.

I would suggest eating in the dining room as much as possible. The buffet is OK for when you're in a hurry (for an excursion or some other event) but the dining room served wonderful selections and had terrific service.

I'm not a big fan of Florida (too crowded but boarding at Ft Lauderdale port went smoothly and efficiently.
At this port, we booked a dolphin experience with AA. Better than RC excursion since island was only 30 min away (vs 60 with RC). My wife loved the contact with dolphin but be didn't buy their pics since we heard they were $70+
Rather than take a taxi, we walked into town. It was a mostly shaded and had a sidewalk, probably 1.5 miles and on the level. We are walkers at home so the it was an easy walk for us. Good variety of shops right at dock but prices were cheaper in town.
We did the RC excursion to Windsor & LHR. Since a basic shuttle was $90, this was a good value at $120/person. I'd buy in advance since it did sell out once on the ship.