Independence of the Seas Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Purser

Independence of the Seas TransAtlantic Crossing May 1-14, 2016

Sail Date: May 01, 2016

My usual cruise schedule remains unaltered:  Rise before dawn and exercise with the rising sun; breakfast before the hoards even consider waking; finding the ideal spot facing the sun & sea and spending the hours between 8-12pm reading -- a practice I simply don't do at home.  Then, a quick lunch, either with friends or maybe by taking a plate to my cabin before engaging in my treasured "cabin time" between 1pm-4pm.  While in there I get a 1 or 2 hour nap and the rest of the time just watching tv or reading.  Then, by 5pm we're again headed for our nightly rendezvous in the Diamond Lounge, drinking and socializing.  But of course I was in bed by 9pm each and every single evening so I can rise with the sun!

Didn't spend too much.  Never even disembarked at any of the 3 Caribbean ports -- and I don't feel I missed anything.  I never saw any of the shows -- except the lectures that were re-broadcasted on the television during my "cabin time."

I was easily able to stick with my low-carb diet for nearly 12 of the 13 days of our cruise, altho 13th (the travel day) seemed filled with bread in the form of sandwiches at Heathrow and on the flight home. Not many choices when on the road, you know.  Yet, I don't have that dreaded "cruise belly" and my pants fit just fine.  Wednesday (tomorrow) is my weigh-in day, so I'll find out if I'm still in the 190 lb arena.  I'm sure I'm fine.

So, already I'm dreaming of my next get-away.  As you know, I'm not the typical cruiser pulling all-nighters, all-day drinking and overeating from breakfast until the midnite buffet (if they even offer that anymore.)  In fact, I've stopped saying that I'm going on a cruise in favor of simply describing it as going to sea for the sun and salty air.  I treat these trips more as 2 weeks in a spa and my main aim is to come back home rested.

So, it was really perfect in every way.  Bring on the next one!
Cabin / Stateroom Perfect location (for me) is always far forward. Interior cabins are just fine since I like it DARK when I sleep.