Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Grandeur of the Seas

Sail Date: March 30, 2016

Overall the cruise was fine; nothing exceptional.  The menu has not changed in four or five years and so that was a little boring.  And they continue to put in a lot of salt into the food.  The weather, which the ship has no control over, was very windy and the waves seemed a little rough.  Believe me I have been on much worse on this same ship.  The main reason I go on this cruise is convenience.  I take the D.C. Metro to Union Station and then catch the MARC Train (Maryland Commuter Train) to Baltimore's Penn Station; from there I take a  taxi to the pier.  It sounds worse than it really is and I save $15.00 a day in parking.  The entertainment was very good except for Joe Y from Boston whom I felt was trying to hard to be funny and was "overdoing" it even in the adult show.

The stateroom was ok. My biggest problem was the tip of the bed jutted up against the vanity (along with the tv jutting out) and it made it difficult getting out of bed at night even with the reading light on. Hopefully RCCL will make cabins for one person and think a little more about furniture placement. I have a feeling the room could be cramped with another person in there.
Embarkation was easy because I was there early. I think and know that if you get there later in the day (11:00 or 12:00) it will be very crowded and congested. Granted it does work out. Disembarkation again can be a little congested unless you get off first by carrying your own luggage off or wait until the end of the disembarkation process.
Menu has not changed in four or five years!!!
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Labadee is pretty and once again I try to help out the locals. However they can be a bit pushy( Probably due to the abject poverty). Having said that there is a small building that is near the archway to local merchants. In that building there is no haggling over prices, but there is no one hassling you. You may not get as good a deal but you won't deal with the "pushiness" of the locals; and the money is still going into the local economy.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
We docked on Sunday and the street fair was still on (they have it on Saturday as well); it is mostly local vendors and I try to buy something that I need and help out the local economy also; (the country is in bad financial straits); I'm sure the local merchants appreciate it as well.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
I came in here to buy some camera lenses; unfortunately they didn't have the ones I was looking for. The store Royal Caribbean is always very nice and professional to deal with; even though they are no longer on the "recommended ship list." The store is not connected with the cruise line; but I have been dealing with them for years,either in person or via mail, and have had no problems. They obviously sell other things there as well for e.g. sunglasses and other electronic items.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
St. Maarten is very pretty and the beach is a short ferry boat ride from the main dock. Shopping is also very convenient; right there on Front Street.

My tip for eating was going to The Great Gatsby Dining Room for lunch and having the staff make a made to order salad. You just tell them what you want and they make it up for you and even chop it up for you. Very Good!!!