Excellent guest speakers, disappointing ship

Grand Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Helpful Vote: 1

7 Night Voyage Of The Glaciers Southbound (Whittier To Vancouver)
Sail Date: June 13, 2015
Ship: Grand Princess
Cabin Number: E604

Alaska - awe-inspiring, of course!  Grand Princess is old-fashioned,  poorly designed, dark in many areas.  Unfortunately there was a viral outbreak on-board and I was one of the many hundreds affected.  Spent most of the cruise isolating myself from others and unable to enjoy the food.  (The buffet was not well-presented and the food luke-warm anyway.)  Only managed to eat in the main dining room 3 times as I was not well and had no appetite.  2 of those times I chose to sit by myself so as not to share my "germs".  On the other occasion I shared at a large table.  One of the other people at the table was wearing a Nascar-type jacket and red ball-cap, which was never removed.  As Princess reminds it's guests that no ball-caps are allowed in the main dining room at supper, I wondered why the staff did not, tactfully, address this issue and ask the person to comply?  There were 2 boys, aged approx. 8 and 14, at the same table, (from a different family), who were dressed appropriately and very well-mannered.  What message did it send them to be sitting next to a person wearing a baseball cap to the supper table??  There were excellent guest speakers on board and some entertainers and shows were brilliant.  My cabin steward, Nes, was professional and efficient.  I was surprised that there were no obvious extra measures taken to sanitize handrails, elevator buttons, etc., even after the captain announced that there was a viral outbreak amongst the passengers.  I will be sure not to take any Princess ships with less than a 5* rating in future.

Dining room- good, buffet - no.

Could not participate in much due to illness

Some very good shows and talented in-house and guest performers. All guest lecturers were excellent.

Nes, my steward. Ramil in Michaelangelo.

As a solo traveller I paid a premium for this cruise. I found the atmosphere and decor to be old and stale!

Old-fashioned but extremely clean.

Desserts very good! Enjoy the Zumba!

No time there. Transfer bus driver could have given more of a commentary en-route to ship.
Beautiful day!
Fabulous scenery on a beautiful day
Cannot review as I was too ill to enjoy. It looked delightful. Historic.
Only walked in to town, charming.
Only walked in as I had the ship's virus!! Friendly and helpful residents
Easy disembarking. Hop-on/off bus was close, convenient and very informative.