Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

We're ready to go again!

Sail Date: March 18, 2007

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Even before we boarded we were blown away. The Freedom of the Seas is the largest cruise ship in the world. It's awe inspiring!

We boarded and stepped into a small floating city. Deck 5, The Promenade, was our first clue that we were about to be seriously spoiled. There were shops, food, music, food, laughter, food, pampering, and did I mention food everywhere you looked and that was just on Deck 5.

My husband and I were traveling with three of our teenage sons. We saw them when we boarded, for four meals, three shore excursions, and when we disembarked. Other than those times, they have a life of their own. The guys spent time on the Flowrider, at Fuel, the Living Room, on the Rock Wall, with their new friends, and being challenged with dares and challenges of the ships staff that facilitated teen activities. Keep in mind that my sons are a combination of a jock, an Extreme sports junkie, and a follower of the Hard Core scene. My boys werent looking forward to the formal dining, but when they showed up and the ladies began to check them out, it didnt seem to be so painful any more. In fact, the last night on board, the two oldest (15 and 17) opted for dress shirts and slacks vice their tee shirts and jeans. They all had the time of their lives. They slept on the trip home because they didnt want to miss anything that might be going on while they were sleeping on the ship.

As for me and my husband, we ate, we dined, we saw fabulous shows (I was expecting lame attempts to entertain, boy was I wrong), great current movies, relaxing hot tubs, gambled, on board game shows (you HAVE to participate in the Quest), met new people over the course of seven days that made our trip even more special. The shore excursions each became stories and memories that my family and I will relive for the rest of our lives. The canopy tour in Jamaica cant be missed, you wont regret it. Even my husband let out a Tarzan yell on the last traverse to the delight and embarrassment of our boys.

The ships crew is all that you would expect them to be and more. You have but to ask and you receive. After a couple of days the staff know you, they know your name, your preferences, you. Theyve mastered the art of making each guest feel like their only guest. I never felt like a nameless face. I truly felt like a guest that they couldnt wait to show off their home to and help have a wonderful time. Our expectations werent met; they were exceeded in every way.

Pros: The schedule was ours.

Cons: Having to come home.

Recommends Freedom of the Seas? Yes!

Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Beautiful water, beaches, food was great. Be prepared to be aggressively sold to by vendors in the market. Great deals are to be had.
Don't Miss: Dragons breath, the beaches, and the water sports.
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Don't Miss: Dragons breath, the beaches, and the water sports.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Mainly shopping. We didn't take any of the shore excursions. Beautiful and clean.
George Town, Grand Cayman
Montego Bay, Jamaica
As soon as you stop outside of the terminal you are harassed by taxi services, guide services, shop owners, and residents offering questionable services. It was a dirty and unsafe environment. Stay in ship recommended areas, with a group. Canopy tour was awesome. It made the above aggrevations worth the trip.
Don't Miss: The Canopy tour.
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Don't Miss: The Canopy tour.
A lot of devastation from prior hurricanes but being rebuilt quickly. Friendly and warm. Beautiful waters. We went bottom fishing but the water was rough and the fishing not very productive. The boys all got sea sick. Recommend checking the forecasted boating conditions prior to booking this trip. Also, would make sure everyone had on a motion sickness patch, just as a precaution.