Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Overall - a fantastic time

Sail Date: April 17, 2009

Traveled As: Family w/young children

We just returned from our 9 night cruise out of New Jersey to the Eastern Caribbean with our 2 kids, ages 9 and 7. Overall, it was a great time. A big challenge with the kids included there being little to NO water and pool activities at the Adventure Ocean club during the day. Therefore we opted to keep them with us on the pool deck during most days at sea. Also, the waterslide was not very impressive for them, more appropriates for ages 3 - 5, I would say.
The ports of call were terrific, especially St. Thomas and the beach excursion in Dominican Republic. San Juan would have been great if we had more daylight hours, the fort was very impressive. The water park in Haiti is very challenging for adults that are not in GREAT shape. All inflatables require you to hoist your body up out of the water. My 9 year old LOVED it as did the older (ages 13 - 15) kids that we were travelling with. My 7 year old could not get used to the life jacket, which kept slipping up over his head, so he bailed out early. The food on the ship was GREAT, especially recommend the chops grille filet which you can get for an added $15.00 and all the appetizers and soups in the dining room are worth trying. I will say, however, if you are an eggs benedict fan, DO NOT waste your time with that in the dining room, the hollandaise was extremely lemony and my yolks were hard. The breakfast is pretty much the same every day, except a variation on the scrambled eggs, but there is alot to choose from including Belgian waffles, pancakes, omelets to order, scrambled and fried eggs, every different variation of breakfast potatoes and fruit, yogurt, granola, lox. My husband and I enjoyed a quiet breakfast before 8 to avoid the crowds, the kids came later. The pool deck and hot tubs were great. No real problem finding chairs unless we waited until after 11. The service was great and the shows were awesome. I would recommend every single one of them including the ice show which was just exhilarating and the Frank Vallee tribute. I would book again tomorrow if I could!!

Pros: 4 days at sea

Cons: walking around Old San Juan at night and the eggs benedict in the dining room

Recommends Explorer of the Seas? Yes!

Make your reservation at Portofino before the cruise or at least on the first day. We missed it because it was totally booked by Tuesday when we finally decided to do.
We had an outside cabin with large window for 4, we all slept on bunk beds :( I would recommend adjoining rooms for the kids that way the adults can move the two twins together. Other than that the stateroom was OK.
I would have liked to see the kids being able to engage in pool and water activities during the day. The water slide is SO mild, I cannot see any reason that adventure ocean staff could not handle ages 6 and up without parent supervision.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Must see the fort
Samana, Dominican Republic
Beach excursion with water equipment was awesome!!
Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)
Beach for adults, water park for kids ages 9 and up
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Must see Sapphire Beach, although it was a $10 cab ride for each person, each way, I would look into other transportation next time.