Costa Mediterranea Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Costa Ships- it's worth the costa'

Sail Date: September 10, 2007

Well maintained. Clean and efficiently operated. Staff was excellent in every area. English speakers were always available. Customer Service was their foremost concern but they were very attentive to the bottom-line of merchandising everything. Euro valuation made Duty Free more expensive than local at-home costs.

Pros: Staff was friendly and efficient. Ship was well layed out and very clean.

Cons: Food lacked variety at breakfast. Ports were very crowded. Shops were overpriced.

Recommends Costa Mediterranea? Yes!

Due to the International make-up of the passengers the entertainment was ok. The on-board dancers gave us their all. The "professionals" were pretty weak overall considering the size of the ship.
Evening meals were Italian in format and pasta was always a course. Quality of evening meals ranged from ok to wonderful. Service at all locations was excellent. Food variety never changed at breakfast buffet; it is possible to cook eggs another way and to prepare real hash browns instead of "MacDonalds" wedges. I got bored with breakfast. Never really tried lunch so I can't comment.
As nice a ship as I have ever been on, it was my fourth cruise.
Steward was outstanding. No surprises and the deck was larger than expected. On this cruise the deck is a real bonus.
Example, I was looking for a condiment and couldn't locate it. A kitchen staff person, not an officier, asked me if I needed something. I told her not to worry about it and sat down. She located the item and searched for me in the dining area and left the item with me at the table. Now that's service!!!
Bari, Italy
The ice cream here is the best in the world. Find a small shop and enjoy the taste. The Fort isn't much to see and the churchs are large and old if you're into that sort of thing.
Don't Miss: Ice cream - strawberry is awesome!!!
Santorini, Greece
The overall views, the church was nice. The cable cars were a long wait to return down to the tenders. Next time I'll walk down the donkey trail. It's faster and cheaper but you gotta watch your step since the donkeys also use the same trail and I do mean use it.
Don't Miss: The view
Rhodes, Greece
Best port on the cruise except for Venice. Good prices on items for sale and meals. Excellent Greek draft beer in tall schooners, ice cold...ummmm. History of the place was very interesting. I recommend the excursion by "train."
Don't Miss: All the
Dubrovnik, Croatia
The view from above the city is very nice. Take a cab and do a self tour of the "old city" rather than taking the excursion. The excursion is not worth the cost and you can do it all yourself plus the tour companies don't care about each other, two or more groups go into a small room and yell over the top of each other. As a member of the tour group you don't hear anything. We left the tour after two stops and were fine on our own. Walled city was crowded, loud and prices were way out of line compared to Rhodes. I enjoyed the port but hate that it has become so tourist driven
Don't Miss: A walk around the old city
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece
The Olympia site was extremely interesting and the guide spoke English very well and was knowledgeable about the site.
Don't Miss: Olympia ruins
Mykonos, Greece
A tourist trap with lots and lots of overpriced restaurants, souvenier shops and too many people in too small an area. I hated it!!
Don't Miss: Formal dinner aboard ship - it's a waste of a good meal to go ashore.