Don't go on a cruise during hurricane season...
Celebrity Summit Cruise Review to Bermuda
Sail Date: August 24, 2014
Cabin Type: Inside
Cabin Number: 2192
Traveled As: Couple
Reviewed: 2 years ago
Unless you want to end up at a surprise destination. I am ONLY giving this cruise 3 stars because of the STAFF, the room attendants (mine was Eliseo, who was excellent despite my poor mood and Sahri another helpful attendent), Valda from Jamaica (the stir-fry chef who was super sweet and helpful despite the very rude guests) along with others made what would be an awful experience a bit easier to swallow. We had to pay for specilalty restaurants. If you can afford to do so, please pay for at least one. The regular dining on the cruise was great, as were the specialty restaurants we tried (Normandie and Qsine) were phenomenal as well as Roberto and another gentleman (they are from the Dominican Republic and Peru I believe if that helps). We had a 5 star restaurant experience there.
Now for the reasons I am not giving a 5-star rating for the entire cruise:
1) The entertainments was only ok. We lost a day off the boat, and had the entertainment had been better, it really would have helped. You are on the boat way more than on land, so entertainment needs to be amazing, in my opinion. I don't listen to rock music, I don't care to participate in the Newlywed Game, and I can only watch a guy juggle so many times. The best shows were the Stars Were in Their eyes crew (wonderful voices) and the comedienne at the very end of the cruise, Michelle Balan.
2) We were not compensated for the lost day on land. We went from three to two, and were only compensated a $100 credit and you were refunded your excursions at Bermuda. Where did that extra day go?! This was our first time traveling outside of the US, and we were only outside for 12 hours.
3) We were often reminded that we were not going to Bermuda. This was not done intentionally by the staff at all. This was because there was information about Bermuda broadcasted on the TV, in the shopping area on board with shirts that had "Bermuda" on them, etc. It rubbed salt into the wound.
4) No one recognized that we were on our honeymoon, even though the travel company we worked through to book the cruise said that they would somehow acknowledge it.
5) Every time we turned around we were being hit up for money. At almost every event/ entertainment we were asked to purchase, buy, buy, buy. It was ridiculous. We had already spent thousands for a cruise that did not go to where we wanted. Our new excursions were not compensated, so we paid out of the wazoo for Disney World, where we had not planned to go and spent all of our cash there! If we had not already purchased and then been refunded our original excursion we would not have been able to afford to do anything at the Bahamas.
6)The excursions, specifically the ones in the Bahamas were SO unorganized. No one knew anything or explained anything properly. We were told we could go to a certain area, then we go there and we are told we are not allowed there, WHAT?! We were told lunch was included, but ended up paying, yet again! I like how the cruise sold people beach excursions, but they could not go to the actual beach because the waves were out of control. Again, it was all about money.
I have given not one or two, but 6 reasons that I will NOT be going on ANY cruise any time in the near future. I will be getting on a plane from here on. I am not joining the Captain's club. This was my honeymoon, so my husband and I made the best of a very bad situation. There is just too much unpredictability and after scrimping and saving to pay for the wedding and honeymoon on our own, constantly being hit up for money so you can have a "better experience" leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. I thought that I would only have a less than great time if I was seasick, but that did not happen, it was the cruise itself!!! I would NOT recommend the cruise, I am only giving it 3 stars because of the staff. Those folks work so hard and they really have nothing to do with my complaints. To be honest, I cried, more than once while on my honeymoon, and that is just unacceptable!
Food and Dining
Service and Staff
Cabin / Stateroom
I am done with cruises, so no tips from me...