Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Contributor Level: Third Mate

No luggage for 4 days

Sail Date: June 12, 2016

This was the most stressful vacation I have ever been on due to the lack of organization and compassion that we experienced with Celebrity.  We were never emailed the link to confirm our cruise and print out luggage tags, so I called Celebrity the day prior to ask what to do.  I was told that there was no problem--that we just needed to go to the terminal, and in the baggage drop off area, a porter would approach us, ask us our room number, and all would be taken care of (we were never told there was another ship departing from the terminal that morning).  When we got to the baggage drop off, a porter approached, asked our room number and basically waited with his hand out for a tip.  My husband had forgotten to get cash that morning, so was unable to tip, and got a dirty look from the porter.  His comment to me as we left the luggage area was that he hoped our luggage made it on the ship because of the look the porter gave him.  As the ship launch drew closer, and the rest of our party got their luggage, we began to get worried, as I have health issues, and my supplies were in my luggage, so we went and told the concierge Sylvia that we needed to know that our luggage was on the ship, or we would have to get off the ship--we were EMPHATIC about that because of my health issues.  Sylvia the concierge assured us our luggage was on the ship, and should be there shortly.  2 hours later, on our way to Icy Straight, I was told that our luggage was not on the ship, and that we wouldn't have it for 4 days until we got to Jeauno (it had been put on the Holland ship).  I was beside myself trying to figure out not only how I was going to manage my health concerns, but how I was going to manage the next 4 days without my makeup, my hair stuff, and not even a pair of underwear (which are not sold on the ship). The doctors on the ship only partially had what I needed to be comfortable and stay healthy, so ended up with an infection that I needed to go on antibiotics for.  I purchased makeup and hair stuff on the ship where the prices are twice what I can get them for on land, and that alone cost me $500.  Luckily, one of the women we were traveling with was my size, so I was able to borrow some of her clothes, but I was never offered free laundry service, so I spoke with Sylvia about that and a credit for what I had to spend on hair and makeup, she told me the most they could do was $200, and that they had supplied me with a hygene kit (which includes a toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream a razor and deodorant, three items of which I have no use for) and that should be enough.  I told her that was ridiculous, and when I asked to speak to her boss, she told me that if I went above her head, anything she had offered me was off the table.  The next day, I was able to meet with Sylvia's boss Ana, and she offered me the $500 plus another $200 for my trouble, but to have to fight for just the basics, get sick in the process,  and be treated the way that I was treated put such a terrible taste in my mouth that we refused to spend another dime of our money to Celebrity for the remainder of the cruise, and will never take a Celebrity cruise again and will not recommend it to our friends, which is a shame, since the food was good, the entertainment was good, and the itinerary was amazing.  We traveled with 2 other couples, who were also affected by our situation (I had to miss the hike in Hoonah because all I had was dress boots), and the first night we were there, one of the couples ordered a $200 bottle of wine, which alerted the waiter Sirah to sell them on a special exclusive and intimate 7 course wine tasting dinner for 8 in the wine cellar.  We were told by our waiter Sirah that he found 2 more people to join our party, so the table was sold out (our friends paid $170 a head for this special dinner, which was a birthday present to the wife in the other couple)  When we arrived for the dinner on Wed night (I in my borrowed dress and shoes, with no hose since you don't sell them on the ship), we were told that the plans had changed, our group had grown to 11, which meant that we could no longer fit in the wine cellar.  We were then seated at a huge table that was so big we could not hear each other across the table, in the middle of the noisy restaurant.  So much for exclusive and intimate.  To add insult to injury, we saw that another party had been seated in the wine cellar that evening. Our friends were able to fight for their money back since they did not receive what they were sold, but the feeling was that Celebrity is more interested in making a buck than taking care of their clients.  Celebrity needs to take a lesson from Southwest Airlines and learn that SERVICE, not sales is the way to get and keep customers.

The room was smaller than deluxe veranda rooms on other ships we have sailed on. Our cabin staff was great.

Be prepared to be sold to constantly, and if you have a problem, expect to have to fight for compensation