Carnival Splendor Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Customer Service Nightmare Mars Week of Vacation Bliss

Sail Date: December 27, 2015

I love cruising and enjoy Carnival, so they were my 1st choice to bring in the New Year. The itinerary was good, a stop in Grand Cayman, instead of Costa Maya, would have been a better choice, since there was very little to see or do in the latter. Food, housekeeping, waitstaff, and the Spa techs were all outstanding. My issues began w/the initial check-in. 40 minutes for security, another 15 for passport review and then over an hour to get to the actual check-in counter. This is unacceptable!!! We stood like cattle w/o benefit of even a cup of water. This process should be streamlined, if you did online c/i, have your docs in order, you should be allowed to board from security. I u/s Carnival now wants to charge people to expedite the process, but since everyone on this fully booked cruise already paid a premium in excess of 30%, this was just poor service. It along w/the lack of staff made this an unforgettable start to the cruise. Additionally, forcing people to pay a mandatory tip for a drink, coke or lukewarm coffee was insane. I had no problem w/tips for waiters, stewards & such, but I don't tip folks in Starbucks. 50 cent tip for a glass of soda is outrageous and this process needs to be ended immediately. The rest of my trip, especially ziplining in Honduras was outstanding!

Cabin / Stateroom Loved my room, unobstructed views, great noise insulation and we were usually portside which was great
Rommel and his team ain the dining room, along w/our Steward Paquitoand his team were fantastic!
Miami, Florida
Belize City, Belize
Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
South Shore Ziplining made my day!! Highlight of the entire cruise for me!! Panning a family reunion during Christmas on the Vista b/c of this location
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Either develop this location or discontinue it.

on fully booked cruises, all hands need to be on deck!