12 Night Mediterranean

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

12 Night Mediterranean (Rome Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 28, 2006
This is our fifth cruise and 2nd on Carnival, the first one being a 3 day cruise over 12 years ago. We booked the cruise on Carnival Liberty not expecting much, and maybe that was the reason we were so pleasantly surprised. For the price, the itinerary cannot be beat, it was the only curise we could find that hit Sicily and Venice, 2 ports that were important to us. The ship is amazingly clean, there is always someone shining, painting, or wiping down something. The crew is very pleasant. The food in the buffet was average, our kids enjoyed it. The food in the main dining was a solid C, but that is pretty much known about Carnival. I will say booking a meal at Harry's (additional $30/person) was worth it, that food was wonderful. However it does beg the question, if they can do it there, why can't the food be that good everywhere? In their defense, there is always pizza, and the specialty areas such as the Oriental food, the deli and the fish and chips were good enough to fill you up if nothing else appealed to you. We booked a balcony room which had plenty of storeage and was a nice size. Beds were very comfortable. Crew was very friendly, we didn't feel pressured about shore excursions the way I have heard others comment. Overall, a very pleasant experience, and a great value.
We did highlights of Barcelona. Nice trip. Watch out for pickpockets although we didn't see any.
Don't Miss: Holy Family Church
Don't Miss: Holy Family Church
Lots of touristy shops. We did this on our own so I can't recommend a certain tour. The views from the Greek Theatre were wonderful.
We did a private tour, it was not one of our favorite ports.
Don't Miss: The amalfi coast
We did a private tour, it was not one of our favorite ports.
Don't Miss: The amalfi coast
Completely surprised at the beauty of this port. I would go back and stay here for a week.
Don't Miss: Best of Dubrovnik
Don't Miss: Best of Dubrovnik
We did Pisa on our own and were very pleasantly surprised. Worth seeing. My sister did Florence and said the same thing. Supposedly one of the best places for shoppping.
My husbands favorite. Easy to do on your own, except for the gondolas which can take advantage of you if you don't book through the cruise. Panoramic view of Venice is not necessary if you take any other tour as they boat you everywhere and point out significant sights on the way.
Don't Miss: St Mark's Church
Don't Miss: St Mark's Church
All I can say is rude, rude, rude. We did this on our own and even a policeman wouldn't tell us how to get to the train station. Took the train to Monte Carlo and we were underwhelmed, although my husband loved seeing the cars. Very expensive lunch.

Pros: The itinerary

Cons: food