Western Caribbean cruise

Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Brilliance of the Seas

7 Night Western Caribbean (Tampa Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 07, 2019

Ship: Brilliance of the Seas

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 1054

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Good cruise overall. We liked the smaller ship. Fewer children. Only real issue was the tendering we had to do in three of the ports.

Embarkation

Embarkation was very smooth once we figured out the parking. We drove from Orlando and getting into the parking garage was confusing but once we got the sorted it was easy.

Ship experiences

Food was mostly ok. Star for me was the grilled fish at Giovanni restaurant, and the filet at Chops Grill for my hubby.

Did not do many activities on the ship.

We enjoyed the shows each night. The RCL productions were the best for us. The first night was a “Journey” band. The lead singer was terrible. Many people left early and I heard many complaints about him during the rest of the cruise. The lead guitarist, on the other hand, was phenomenal! Other nights were a singer who was really good, and a comedian who was not. I also went to the Love and Marriage game show on the last sea day and that was hilarious!

Excellent in every way.

We booked a guaranteed suite and ended up with this two bedroom two bath cabin. We slept in master and my husband used the second bedroom as his wardrobe. Loved having two bathrooms! Living room area was nice. This cabin is very close to elevator but we never heard any noise from that. Did hear chairs scraping from above but it really wasn’t an issue. Biggest down side was the balcony which was minuscule and looked right into the balcony next door so no privacy for either room. Would not want this cabin again.

Ports of call

George Town, Grand Cayman

We took an excursion to Pedro St. John Castle and Crystal Caves. Tour guide was very good. We loved learning the history of the castle. The crystal caves were very interesting. Amazing underground stalagmite formations. Took lots of photos. I highly recommend.

We booked an excursion through ShoreFox. Our guide was Tass. He was terrific! Very knowledgeable, personable and professional. He took us to a small attraction where they showed us how the Mayans lived, what they ate and how they cooked and farmed. Then he took us to a restaurant on the beach that was fantastic. We both had the grilled grouped and it was delicious! Highly recommend.

Belize City, Belize

We did an excursion to see the Mayan ruins. Only one other couple came so it was nice to be a small group. Our guide was just ok. The ruins were very interesting. Glad we went.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

We had booked a snorkeling excursion but did not go as my husband was not feeling well. We did walk through shops at the port. They were nice and had many different local types of merchandise.

Disembarkation