Room for Improvement

Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review to Europe - Western Europe

10 Night Best Of Europe (Southampton To Barcelona)
Sail Date: May 19, 2008
Ship: Brilliance of the Seas
The ship was very nice, but the customer service level on this cruise wasn't up to the normal standard. The cruise director staff in charge of the activities weren't as outgoing and active as previous cruises. The cruise director was good, but several of his staff didn't seem to enjoy their job and appeared uneasy in front of a crowd. A spa employee was very pushy in trying to sell some products. When I told her I wasn't interested she replied "I'm not going to discuss it with you anymore. I am very disappointed."(this was said with an attitide). This is my fifth cruise with Royal Caribbean, and I was the one who was disappointed. When I mentioned my concerns to Guest Relations they informed me that several of the staff did not have the opportunity to be trained, as they boarded the ship in Southampton and went directly to work. Still, I don't feel that is an excuse for below average customer service. On a positive note, the food was good and most of the ports of call were interesting. The only port I wouldn't recommend is Vigo, Spain. There's not much to do...just another city. The Solarium is great for relaxing, and the midnight buffet was excellent.

No real "Wow" factor to report.

The ship definitely needs improvmens in the customer service area.

Great layout; even though the ship was full it never felt crowded in the public areas.

The beds were very comfortable.
It would have been nice to have more time. The bus ride to and from Paris totaled over 5 hours. Best use of time is to buy a ticket for the tour bus so you can get on and off at tourist sites. Don't miss out on the pastries!
Don't Miss: Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame.
You can visit several cities from here....Nice, Monaco, Eze, St. Paul de Vence.
Don't Miss: Eze...a beautiful city
St. Jorge's castle has great views of the city and the ship.
Don't Miss: St. Jorge's castle
The main feature of this island is Napolean's home and Napolean's statue.
The town was very pushy in trying to sell souvenirs. They would not leave you alone...touching and hounding everyone.
Don't Miss: Caves of Hercules; picture on a camel
We toured Vigo on our own...no excursion. Not a very exciting city. Definitely consider a tour for this port.
Don't Miss: n/a

Pros: The Solarium on the ship

Cons: The pushiness of the spa and fitness staff to sell their products.

Recommends Brilliance of the Seas? Yes!