Amsterdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

A multi-generational itinerary, but not multi-gen entertainment

Sail Date: August 16, 2015

We are a mid-40's couple who took this cruise with our two daughters aged 8 and 10 and our 84 yr old parents. It's our second cruise with HAL and my in-laws are 3 star Mariners. The Alaska itinerary had many other families of similar make-up but the entertainment in the evening could have been dialed in a bit better to reflect the larger number of 30-50 yr olds who finally have some childcare and would like to loosen up a bit. The ship is clean, but showing some age, especially in tiled areas (showers, floors, spa). We saw lots of whales during this trip without having to book a whale watching tour!

Cruise Photos

On the Amsterdam, the 4th passenger bunk was over the main bedroom area, unlike when we were on the Oosterdam, where it is over the sleeper sofa. I would not have chosen this ship had I known in advance of that configuration.
The ship is clean but is starting to show its age, especially in tiled areas (showers, flooring, spa). I miss the gathering areas that larger atriums allow, especially if weather is not as friendly to being outdoors.
Alaska is gorgeous and I want to see even more now.
The Culinary Arts Center is awesome and I would have loved even more shows, as all three generations in our group attended them.
My 8 and 10 year olds love Club HAL and on two occasions chose to go to the evening programs as soon as they could in lieu of our 8pm dining seating.
On itineraries where there are more 30-50 year olds, dancing and other entertainment more suited to that age group would be welcome. Example: ballroom classics played in Ocean Bar that were zero to low attendance. It doesn't honor the performers when they play to empty floors.
The crew are all friendly and attentive and their willingness to go great lengths always surprises me.
Savory, good portion sizes. Seafood was outstanding.

The chef of fish was outstanding on this trip. All seafood was perfectly cooked and spiced and prepared. The Culinary Arts center with cooking shows was great fun. The hydrotherapy suite in the spa is gorgeous: heated tiled reclined loungers to soothe away stress with an amazing view.

1 Comment