Tipping

I'm going out on a limb here and asking a question that tends to start post wars.

I'm sure that we can keep it civil, though.

I know that I pay the daily surcharge for tips, and I am fine with that.

I also like to give the waiters in the MDR, as well as the room steward staff, a little extra at the end of the cruise (I know that it is not mandatory)

For those that do, and actually wish to answer, what is a fair guide to the amount to tip?

A couple of cruises ago, I tipped the headwaiter $50 and each of the assistants $35 for what I felt was outstanding service. While the assistants seemed ecstatic, the headwaiter seemed a bit perturbed. Did I overtip the assistants, undertip the headwaiter, or just making something out of nothing? (This was an 8 night cruise)

19 Answers

We have left extra for one of our room stewards at the end of one cruise because he was really good and always made sure there were a couple of our sodas in the ice bucket whenever we came into our room. 

In the diningroom,  we've always had YTD, and last cruise we requested the same waiter that we had on our 2nd night because he was fun. At the end of the week, Henri had been our waiter for 5/7 evenings so my husband and our friend each gave him an extra $20. I don't remember anyone else on the wait team at all, definitely not outstanding service.

You were more than generous for an eight day cruise. I do tend to tip on top also but only for exceptional service. I probably would of went $30 & $20.

I tip over the prepaid tips.   You can tip what ever you like..... if the Ast were better and gave you better service then the head waiter then tip them more.  I always extra tip my cabin steward if they keep my ice bucket filled and fresh towels.

On our first cruise we tipped well, but not over the top, with the exception of our bartender and one waiter. They deserved the extra. On the Panama cruise, it was a  long one. We started with Eduardo our Steward. He got 100.00 at the start and he got extra at the end for his daughter at school. I also made a point to meet with the guy who ran the egg station. Our waiter at the pool area was also tipped well. We have found, based on the fact that both my wife and I have worked in the  food service industry, that tipping well not only ensures good service, it does make a difference for the server.

I will usually tip Stuart about $10/day at the end of the trip, sometimes a bit ($20) at the beginning if they start off at a sprint.

The bartenders usually start at $1/drink, adjusting accordingly if they are outstanding or miserable.

I just wasn't sure what the community average is. I certainly don't want to be remembered as "that guy" on a future cruiseBig Smile

(I don't seriously think that would happen)

I  tip my steward several times during the cruise.  $4 here, $5 dollars there.  Usually ends up about $20 or more.  When I find a good bartender that treats me well.  I give a buck a drink every so often.  They appreciate it and boy does that get me at the head of the line as well.

We always give our steward $20 as soon as we meet him. We explain the need for extra pillows & towels.    We also tip him $20 during the week, often more than once.   Waiters in the restaurants are also tipped. Especially since the meal is often gratis ( perk or booking special ).   In the MDR, not so much as we never get the same waiter more than once.  However, if the service is very good, we will hand over a $10 bill for the two of us.   Room service gets $1/ plate.

It's usually $40 for the room steward, more if the service has been really good. I'll also give an envelope to the assisting steward if they've been around. I know they help but one cruise I NEVER saw the assistant and gave the steward $60; another time the assistant was so good, I searched the rooms before debarking to make sure he got his envelope. It's usually $30 for waiter in MDR and $15-$20 for the assisting waiter. We did YTD dining once, but I honestly don't remember how/what I tipped the staff. We're doing that again in May, so I need to have a plan for that!

Thanks for all the replies (and for the non-replies not posted that I surely would have gotten on that other site). I guess I either misread the headwaiter, or he was being unreasonable.

As I said at the top of the post, I realize that the extra tip is totally voluntary and never required. But I believe that I should properly thank the persons who made my trip special by giving them something that they can use.

I think that you were mot generous with your tips.  No one should feel slighted. 

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.