Canx'd June 2020 Star Princess Alaska Cruise

So this is mainly a FYI post for Princess customers.

I suspect most if not all the other cruise lines are doing this in regards to cancelled cruises.

-----

I was waiting to see what Princess would do about my June 2020 Alaska Cruise. I tried calling last week but got a message that basically said if your cruise is more than a month out please call later since we are swamped with calls.

So I waited. Got the official email about the situation today.

I initially wanted a full refund but FCC offer I think is good.

They are offering a full refund of the cruise and excursion costs

or

Future credit for the sum of the cruise and excursion plus a 25% bonus attached to the credit.

The credit is good until May 1, 2022.

So I've changed my mind and I'm going to take the FCC.

Tags: Princess Cruises PrincessCruises

15 Answers

KENN...cut it out ol buddy...you'll be afloat eventually just like the rest of us.

As far as the pic goes, obviously they were enjoying themselves at that moment..but the pic COULD"VE been that good ol waste of time lifeboat drill on virtually any ship, or the mdr, or or or...which doesn't bode well for our fav form of profligate spending.

So many places that rely on tourist dollars are hurting. Alaska is such a beautiful place and hopefully will recover quickly. Unfortunately it will probably take quite a while because of the limited season. Fingers crossed that this pandemic doesn't ruin too many places.

Ouch-----Not for a few months but for the entire season. Not at all good for my state. Might be sometime before the cruise industry becomes a big player in the Alaska visitation industry again. Probably did my last cruise a little over a year ago, doubt if I ever do another one. Can't really knock it though, over the last 30 years we put in a total just shy of two years on the high seas. Almost 400 of them on Princess. This picture illustrates why the industry is going to be forced to change. This is the Ruby Princess. At the time this picture was taken she had just sailed. All these fine people were aware of Covid-19 as her sister ship, the Diamond Princess, was stuck in Yokohama where nobody was allowed to disembark and about 25% of the crew and passengers were infected at the same time they were all in a so called quarantine status. The way I understand it, 19 people on the Ruby here died and hundreds were afflicted. https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2020/04/14/devastating-princess-and-holland-america-cancel-2020-gulf-of-alaska-sailings-because-of-coronavirus-pandemic/ https://mustreadalaska.com/princess-cruises-wont-open-its-lodges-or-offer-train-bus-tours-in-alaska-this-summer/?fbclid=IwAR1OYGJUqs-JsAPEgfhHCKYCvAlKL8t-1pOaArVH3GSNGXm9014PPKRkvFo

2020---Ruby Princess during start of COVID 19 oubreak on board..jpg?auto=format,compress

Boils down to, if you plan to take a cruise in the future then the FCC looks flexible enough that it is a no brainer ... but ... if you are uncertain about the future or the liquidity of the cruise line then the full refund makes more sense.

It is all about personal choice. what works for one cruiser may not work for another. Personally, I am taking the refund.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.