Zuiderdam Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Very relaxing cruise

Sail Date: January 06, 2007

The ship was nice. I personally prefer a "for all ages" cruise line (such as Royal Caribbean) because of all the "extra" stuff to do on board. When you are at sea, those cruise lines constantly have something going on for those of all ages. This cruise with Holland America had just a few things, such as art auctions or culinary demonstrations, primarily geared toward an older crowd. This cruise definitely met all the "cruise essentials" you need to have a nice cruise. In fact, this cruise gave us no choice but to truly just relax on our days at sea! We just heard consistently from those who were late 20's to 40's that had been on other cruises to compare to this cruise, they prefer the others as well, Royal Caribbean being a consistent top pick.

Pros: Really not that many kids on board at all, everything mostly geared toward adults who really wanted to just relax. Very easy ship to navigate as well as

Cons: We actually prefer more options of fun, enegetic, exciting things to do on board.

Recommends Zuiderdam? Yes!

The size was wonderful as I mentioned for my Mother-In-Law. Looks huge when you get on, but overall, smaller ship to find your way through. Typical cheesy ship decor, clean as could be. Cruise staff always amaze me how hard and how long they work!
Good. Some nights dinner was great, and some nights, okay. We did hear from a couple that ate at the Pinnacle (the extra fee applies restaurant), they said that it was wonderful, but again, said it was the quality of what they had everynight at the regular dinner on Royal Caribbean.
My husband and I had a balcony room, it was a little more cramped than we are used to, but not a huge deal. The beds were comfortable. My mother-in-law actually was okay with her bed, and she is super picky about bed comfort.
We had a comedian who was pretty funny, great magician, and an amazing piano player in addition to the typical singing and dancing performance staff.
I just think cruise staff in general are amazing workers! This ship or any ship, they work hard and long to serve you as best they can.
Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)
I just love the clarity of water and the feel of the soft, soft sand on Bahamian beaches. You could go to places on this island and feel you were truly on a Corona commerical.
Don't Miss: The beach!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Had been there several times, so we hopped the ferry over to St. John ($10/person each way, 45 minutes each way). The ferry leaves from downtown (there are 2 ports in St. Thomas so you may actually port downtown) at 9 and 11. We got downtown at 9:05 not knowing this and had to kill time shopping-which there is TONS of in St. Thomas. Also, be sure to find out what time the ferry comes back so that you are there in time to make your way back to the cruise ship. Now the beaches in St. John are gorgeous!
Grand Turk Island
Beach right off the ship all at one of those typical port areas. Tons of people also hung out right there at port at Margaritaville (restaurant, shop, bar-with pool that you can even swim up to bar if you prefer to sitting at beachside or poolside tables.
Don't Miss: Bring your own snorkel stuff! Beautiful sights can see on your own for free.
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Beautiful there!
Don't Miss: Sunset from Cane Garden Bay.