AWFUL!!!

Westerdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Westerdam

7 Night Glacier Discovery Southbound (Seward To Vancouver)

Sail date: July 07, 2019

Ship: Westerdam

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 6080

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Alaska is beautiful, however, I would never travel with Holland America or any of their ships again. Ships dirty, staff rude, and for what it cost was a total waste of our money. Extremely disappointed.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

Staff were impatient. Food was definitely NOT up to our expectations based on other cruises that we've taken.

We were unable to partake in the limited on ship activities due to the fact we got sick. My husband got sick and was bed fast the last four days of our cruise, and I was sick the last three days. My brother who was on the cruise as well was sick and in bed five days of the cruise. Ship was dirty. Walking down the main staircase, our hands got black on the railing and we were so shocked. We immediately cleaned them and sanitized them, but it made us sick to our stomach.

If you like that kind of music.

They all had an attitude which made you feel like you were bothering them. I was waiting for ice cream, and the employee totally ignored me. Once of the bosses had to come over and remind him he had a guest to wait on. If you stood in line, which was a buffet, you had to wait until they gave you what you wanted. I wanted a sandwich, and they put two thin pieces of turkey on it, and I had to ask them several times to put more on it. You basically were begging for the food. Terrible, terrible experience.

FILTHY SHIP!!! Everywhere you touched it was dirty. Floor tiles were raised in the public bathrooms which caused a tripping hazard.

Could have been cleaner. Dirt in corners of the bathroom floor, hair in the tub from a prior guest

Ship tip

Will never travel Holland American or on the Westerdam ever again!

Ports of call

Seward (Anchorage), Alaska

We were only there long enough to get dinner and go to bed. Looks nice.

Cruise Glacier Bay

No comment, and no excursion.

Haines, Alaska

No excursion, but the town we saw was okay. Would not go again.

Juneau, Alaska

Wale excursion. Very enjoyable. Highly recommend. People were very nice. Would have enjoyed more if we weren't so sick.

Ketchikan, Alaska

Was sick in bed and unable to go on the excursion we paid for.

Cruise Inside Passage, Alaska

Didn't pay attention, was sick in bed.

Vancouver (Canada Place), British Columbia

Just glad to get off the ship. We paid to stay an extra day in Vancouver in hopes to be able to tour the town, but we were too sick from the cruise ship to do anything but go to bed.

Disembarkation