Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Great Cruise

Sail Date: April 14, 2007

This ship is not as big as the ship I went on previously which is good. There were never lines at the eating areas, the staff is so nice and really make every effort to make you feel comfortable. The pools (with the exception of one day) were not crowded you always got a chair at the pool.

Pros: The islands and excursions

Cons: Cruise Ship could be updated a little

Recommends Serenade of the Seas? Yes!

Smaller ship for RCCL, I could find things easily, furniture in the dining room and cabin we stayed in could be updated. Our room was ok, but there was hair in the shower, dust on the drawers, and a piece of clothing left in the draw the day we arrived.
Food was good and always alot of food in the buffet areas. Dining times perfect but in the dining room if it wasn't on the menu you couldn't order it (we tried). The portions in the dining room are small we always left there and within an hour were hungry then we headed to the Windjammer buffet area for some more food. They did have a basic kids menu in the dining room with the same thing on it every night (mac & cheese, pizza, chicken fingers and fries).
We got a balcony room with our two children. The room had a pull down from the top of the room bed and a pull out small couch. The top mattress was uncomfortable for the kids and they didn't sleep too well in it. The bed we slept in was very comfortable. We had to ask our stateroom attendant a few times for beach towels as they don't like to give them out at the pool they are supposed to be in your stateroom. The room could have been cleaner.
The night shows were good but we had children 10 & 12 years old that were not interested in going to some of the shows so we would drop off our 10 year old at the kids area & the 12 year old at his teen area, but the show would get over at 10:00 and we would have to pick up our 10 year old at 9:45 so that wasn't that good. But they did have a couple of kids shows which they enjoyed. The activities to do on board were good and there was usually always something to do.
For the kids up to age 11 there was always something for them to do with the exception of 9:45 to 10:00pm and from 5-6pm. You could even drop them off after 10pm until 1:00am for $2.50 per half hour, prior to 9:45 it is free. My son had the best time with the programs they offered. The kids aged 12-17 had a club and had planned activities which my child aged 12 would always go to but since the kids are older they can come and go as they please so I would always see a bunch of kids running around the ship and not really staying too much in the area they should but they didn't cause any problems just kids being kids. There were only about 100 kids on board the week we went so the staff really got to know all the kids and you would always see the same kids on board.
This is where the ship gets the WOW factor. The staff gets to know your name and are so friendly! Out of all the staff we were in contact with only one person was not friendly (where they sell Seattle's Best coffee) but we got to know many of the ships staff and they are the best!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
We had the best time here! We took an excursion to Magen's Bay & Coral World and I'll tell you that is the best beach I have ever been to in my life!
Don't Miss: Magen's Bay
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Don't Miss: Magen's Bay
Castries, St. Lucia
We stayed on the ship this day but the view of the two active volcano's (the Piton's) were extremely beautiful. When the ship was leaving this island they went slowly by these and you could get some really pretty pictures of the Pitons.
Don't Miss: Pitons
Castries, St. Lucia
Don't Miss: Pitons
St. John's, Antigua
We did the Ultimate Snorkel Sea-Fari and another great excursion. If you like to snorkel then you would like this excursion. We went on a 35 foot powerboat on a beautiful ride to go see the Cades Reef which was extremely beautiful also encountered "Harry" the barracuda which was friendly also saw a small stingray in the distance. The beach break after this was ok, not as pretty as Megan's Bay in St. Thomas. Then we stopped to see alot of starfish and got to touch one of the bigger ones that was so cool!
Don't Miss: Cades Reef
Bridgetown, Barbados
Did an excursion - Tiami Five Star Catamaran & Turtles. I really recommend taking motion sickness pills on this one. I got extremely ill from the very bumpy ride so I didn't like this one but my family had a great time. There was food & drinks on board which looked good and my family liked it. You stop to snorkel with the big turtles which my family really loved! Then stopped at a beach and the water was extremely choppy but they went snorkeling again and had a great time.
Don't Miss: Swimming with the turtles
St. John's, Antigua
Don't Miss: Cades Reef
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
We did shopping on this island and stopped at the beach for some shells. They have $1.00 beers and the $2.00 strawberry smoothies(for the kids) are delicious.
Don't Miss: The beach right off of the boat past the shopping areas really easy to find
Philipsburg, St. Maarten