Great 1st cruise

Ruby Princess Cruise Review

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Ruby Princess

12 Night New Zealand (Sydney Roundtrip)

Sail date: January 27, 2020

Ship: Ruby Princess

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: A431

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

Great cruise although I did find that they ran out of original ideas for activities towards the end.We took in the shows in the theatre each night and enjoyed watching Emerald Tide ( an Irish music group) on numerous evenings

Embarkation

Because we are not Americans, we had to pick up our Medallions at the port but we had downloaded the app in advance and had all of our required information entered so we were able to get in the fast line just as if we had our medallions already

Ship experiences

Food court was ordinary. On several nights, even the MDR menu didn’t impress me and we would just grab something from the International Cafe. The Crown Grill was good but if I had known in advance that lobster would be offered in the MDR on one of the nights, I wouldn’t have paid the extra for the C.G. I didn’t care for Curtis Stone’s Share. The Crab shack was ok but not really with the extra cost.

As a 1st time cruiser I was expecting to be claustrophobic but the cabin was spacious enough. We had a balcony cabin but after the 1st day or so, we rarely used the balcony.

Ship tip

We don’t drink alcohol and so I brought a 24 case of coke with us on board and it lasted the entire 12 day cruise. We also got free lemonade and iced tea ( iced tea was bland). We didn’t bother with the beverage package. We bought wifi for my wife only and that was sufficient. We always tipped $10 per meal in the MDR but noticed that nobody else around us was tipping.

Ports of call

Port Chalmers (Dunedin), New Zealand

Took a tour of Larnach castle and a boat excursion to see penguins, fur seals ( lots) and albatross

Wellington, New Zealand

We took in a museum ( very interesting). The weather was very windy the day we were there

Napier, New Zealand

We just walked around the town on our own and took in a museum. We enjoyed the old cars and old style “Art Deco style buildings

Tauranga, New Zealand

We did hop on hop off and was good enough for us

Bay Of Islands, New Zealand

We just walked around the town on our own

Sydney, Australia

We spent 3 days in Sydney prior to getting on the ship ( including Australia Day)

Disembarkation