Ovation of the Seas Cruise Review to Other (Asia/Africa/Middle East)

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Great looking ship but............

Sail Date: June 12, 2016

Cabin: 8718

The ship itself was fabulous with all the newest bells and whistles.  There are things that I would change however as to accommodate the passengers better.

1.  Dining.  Since there is know longer a main dining room passengers are required to make reservations at the complimentary or fee restaurants.  When we tried to make reservations everything was booked so there were many times that myself and friend had to go without dinner, other than the Windjammer a person is "out of luck" if there's no room.   Either the restaurants need to open earlier or stay open later.  It was extremely disappointing.  The service and food was great in the restaurants we did eat at with the exception of the Grand where the service really stunk.  Over an 1 1/12 to just get dinner and had to leave for the show we had reservations for. Yes you also need to make reservations for the shows or you miss out on seeing them too.

2.  The internet was bad at the best.  Trouble logging on, then the signal would drop or you couldn't get logged on.  It was impossible to try to do anything.

3.  I love the ID bracelets for all onboard purchases and to get into the cabins.

4.  The cruise ports need lots of attention.  I realize that this was the first time for RCL Ovation of the Seas to be in these ports but it was really a hassle and inconvenience for the passengers with things not being done correctly. For example, Xiamen has a big problem with giving cruisers a ride back to the ship.  We had 5 drivers tell us no and take other fares.  I finally jumped in a cab and refused to get out and then my group of 8 jumped in with me. South Korea onboard immigration was a joke as you know.  These cities need to realize the revenue the ship and passengers bring to their cities/countries and they need to be prepared and willing to help the passengers.

5.  Diamond Club nightly happy hour.  It is totally unfair that a Diamond member cannot bring their traveling mate to these events.  I didn't participate because I didn't want to leave my friend alone.  It would be nice to have meet other Diamond members and socialize and I know I am not the only one who feels this way,

The bed location was bad since we almost had to crawl over it to get on the balcony.
There are a lot of issues that the ports need to improve. Slow check in (2 hrs) and debarking was another joke. Having Korean immigration on board was a joke and took 4 hrs to get off the ship!
Make reservations ahead of time or you miss out seeing the specialty shows.
Without reservations you are stuck eating at the Windjammer.

1 Comment