Never Again

Norwegian Star Cruise Review to Mexico

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Norwegian Star

7 Night Mexican Riviera (Los Angeles Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 15, 2017

Ship: Norwegian Star

Cabin type: Oceanview

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

For my first cruise, I'm turned off thanks to the horrible service, food, and accomodations of this cruiselinbe. Doubtful I will EVER cruise again based on this experience.

Embarkation

Embarkation was no problem, we sailed right through, but I know it was only because I was traveling with 2 handicapped people.

Ship experiences

The food was HORRIBLE, save for the food at the restaurant Aqua. There the food, both staple menu and specialty, were fresh, hot, and good. Service was impeccable at Aqua as well. Oh, how I wish I could say the same for every other restaurant there, incl. their buffet. The food served at these "restaurants" had ALL THE SAME FOOD. They had some "special" items offered, but they were just as bad. Every meal nothing but glorified college dorm food made presentable onl y by being on a plate. We ate at the Versailles main dining room, which was beautiful, but looks ain't everything. They still offered the same generic food items. Their Christmas dinner was a joke. I tried their Beef Wellington, which was inedible, served to me with the meat blue (so rare it was bleeding), when I orderedit medium. I sent it back and got the salmon, which was cooked dry (I'm positive this was done on purpose bc I complained of my cold food, and the server gave me attitude), with a barely cooked red potato smothered in cold Mornay sauce. HORRIBLE. Christmas dinner ruined? Check. Everyone in my party (over 20 total) complained, and 3 of them caught food poisoning...all 3 immediately threw up after eating the Caesar Salad. A MISERABLE EXPERIENCE, and all we got were napkins so WE could help the staff clean up the mess!!! They offer hamburgers, hot dogs, and fruit on the 12th floor deck, but they were all piled in a stack and I know they were sitting out for a while. I didn't dare touch the burgers bc after picking one up, the bun was stale, the cheese warm, the burger itself was cold. No way was I gonna eat that. Also, the fruit had been marinating in the sun withnoprotection, so flies and bees were landing and crawling over them. Disgusting. Between that and the hordes of little bratty kids with no manners, and adults with no manners (they all acted like they were starving, and trust me, more than a few could stand to lose a few), snatching and grabbing and reaching over you without an "excuse me", I just got fed up with the whole "cuisine" experience. I only ate breakfast the last 2 days, consisting oif an omelet, the only thing I felt safe eating since it was made to order. Everyone kept telling me that the food on cruiselines was the best in the world. I know foir a FACT that the Norwegian "Star" missed this memo. Hint: pack your own food for the week or go hungry.

I played Bingo, which was enjoyable, but expensive, and the Bingo caller took FOREVER to call the numbers. She kept yakking away until another patron yelled out "just call the numbers!!!" She talked SO much what was supposed to be a 1 hour event took almost 2 hours, and we missed our dinner reservation (no big loss, see review of food above). I stayed on the 12th floor enjoying the sunshine and what I wished would be quiet, but there was NO supervision WHATSOEVER of those little demons we call kids. They were runninbg, hollering, screaming, splashing, throwing water on their friends who were out of the pool, and on more than one occassion they nearly ran into my friends while they were in their wheelchair...the kids were soaking wet and not one "sorry" or "excuse me". If kids are going to go unsupervised by their parents, there needs to be someone on Staff to supervise to control the people and to keep those kids from getting so wild and rude to the paying patrons!

The DJ on the 12th floor was fine, but the live bands were awful, loud, intrusive, and their sets were WAY too long. Wanted to relax in the sun on the

Norwegian TRULY needs to either retrain their entire staff on this cruiseship, or fire everyone and start over. The staff, after we left the port, lost all the light in their eyes and they all got this "let's get this over with" attitude about them. I got lost a few times, and when I asked a staff member where to go they said "look at the map I don't know". Literally ALL 3 TIMES I ASKED I GOT THE SAME RESPONSE. Rather than lose my temper I just didn't bother. Customer service in restaurants just as bad, when I complained about the food being cold they'd suck their teeth, or sigh, or snatch my plate away without asking what was wrong or if I wanted anythinbg else, except the one time at Christmas dinner, and you know how that turned out. Housekeeping should be embarrassed of themselves, when I got to my cabin there was a dirty comforter on the bed, and an inch of dust on the furniture and on the area around the window. I called to have the room dusted, and nobody ever arrived, despite my calling almost every day requesting same. Room service staff was just plain OFFENSIVE. After paying $8 for a glass of iced tea, I left a $2 tip, MORE than enough for ONE DRINK. The next noght I called for room service, and the guy who answered had the AUDACITY, the GALL, to say I get no service because I "didn't tip enough"!! Is this how Norwegian trains its staff?!?! If so, I will NEVER cruise this "cruiseline" again, and believe me, I WILL spread word to my friends and family about this experience. I'm still quite offended by the attitude from room service.

Since it was only me in the cabin, I was quite comfortable, but again, housekeeping was sorely lacking what with the dusty furniture and dirty comforter, which they changed once I complained and after debating with the staff over what is "clean". I submit: if there are streaks of dirt visible to the eye along with a bunch of lint on a comforter, it ain't clean. The beds were nothing more than torture devices, I woke up every few hours to change positions because of pain in my muscles. Change your beds!!!

Ship tip

Based on my first time experience, Don't sail Norwegian Star. Just don't sail Norwegian.

Ports of call

San Pedro (Los Angeles), California

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Did not visit port

Was too sore from sleeping in bed.

Mazatlan, Mexico Did not visit port

Got sick from the food

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico Did not visit port

Got sick from the food. At this timne I was just praying to get back home.

Disembarkation

Very smooth. I was just glad to get off of that ship.