Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Mexico

Mostly a fun experience!

Sail Date: January 24, 2016

Room Type: Suite

I'm not giving the ship a 3 star rating. If I could, I'd give the ship a 4 star rating, but for the overall experience, it was only a 3. The ship and experiences on board were all good, although we found that there was very little on board activities that appealed to us, and because the weather turned bad the last 2 days at sea, we were fairly bored by the time we docked in San Pedro. The shore excursion at Cabo was lame and then I had a horrible experience after eating at Cabo Wabo! Mazatlan was fun and Puerto Vallarta was pretty, clean and we probably had our nicest shore day at that location. Overall, though, I can honestly say we will most likely never travel to the Mexican Riviera again. :(

Cruise Photos

We were extremely pleased with our cabin! Very roomy and comfortable. The bed was much more comfortable than I'd hoped. The sitting area was nice and the balcony was deep and wide enough for 2 chairs and a table, without crowding. The bathroom was big and sported both a tub & shower, plus a closed off are, if needed, for the toilet.
The Mazatlan city cruise was very nice, but the bus was too hot , until enough passengers complained, then they turned the A/C on. The semi-submarine excursion in Cabo was lame. We saw a total of 2 types of fish, and that was only when they coaxed them into view, by dropping food in the water.
Children's Programs N/A
Food and Dining Specialty dining food was very good. The main open dining room food was generally pretty greasy and lukewarm at best.
San Pedro (Los Angeles), California
Plan your trip so that you don't get back to LAX too far in advance. We had to stand in the airport (no seating) for 2 hours, before they would allow us to check in (can't check luggage in prior to 4 hours before your plane leaves). Also Terminal 1 is very cold and drafty, so prepare for that, if the weather is windy and chilly outside.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Stay from Cabo Wabo! Although I can't prove it, I am pretty sure a drug of some type was slipped into my drink. I had a black out period of several hours, and had my companion not been with me, it's doubtful I would have made it back to the ship. 2 other women, we found out, had the same experience after going to that establishment.
Mazatlan, Mexico
City tour and cliff diving experience was very nice.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Prettiest and cleanest stop on the trip. Had a nice time shopping and had a very good lunch at Si Senors.

If no tables are available in the Garden Cafe, walk to the aft of deck 12 and take your food into Cucina Cafe. There were always available tables in there for breakfast.