Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

A very busy cruise destination

Sail Date: June 25, 2006

The Jewel offered what they call "free style dining". This allows you to choose the time that you want to eat your dinner vs. having a set time that you must arrive in the main dining rooms. Other speciality restaurants were offered, although you usually needed a reservation. Service was a top priority with Norwegian, unfortunately, I felt at times that it made the atmosphere overly formal. It was difficult to feel relaxed with the crew at times, especially in the main dining rooms as there is a definite protocol for service. I would recommend this ship for older teens and adults.

Pros: We most enjoyed the ports of call.

Cons: We did not have enough time in our last port of call.

Messina, Sicily
We enjoyed Taormina and Mt. Etna, but did not find this stop to be the most fascinating.
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
The coliseum was overwhelmed with tourists, but I would not have wanted our family to have missed this stop. The history of what occured inside this place was fascinating.
Messina, Sicily
Naples, Italy
We did not go into the city of Naples. The Amalfi coast is spectacular.
Don't Miss: The ruins of Pompeii
Villefranche-Sur-Mer, France
This was a beautiful docking area. Instead of being port-side, we docked in a bay area and took the tender boats to shore. There is so much to see and do and the terrain was gorgeous. Monaco is spectacular. The greatest dissappointment was having to leave the area several hours earlier than the other stops. This stop was a real favorite.
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
We visited the Leaning Tower of Pisa and Florence. I would be willing in hindsight to have skipped the Leaning Tower, as that is really the only thing to see and I would have rather spent more time in Florence. I hope someday to come back to Florence and the Tuscany area because there is just so much to experience there.
Naples, Italy
We did not go into the city of Naples. The Amalfi coast is spectacular.
Don't Miss: The ruins of Pompeii