Norwegian Jade Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

NCL Jade (a week with family group of 10)

Sail Date: January 02, 2016

NCL is a line we have cruised before, so we like them and have some loyalty to them.  We booked 3 ocean view rooms mainly due to the Unlimited Beverage Package perk.  We had good and bad on this trip.  Here are my thoughts.  Good: Embarkation process..quick and easy. The Asian restaurant (free) was good. The dancers in show with trapeese was great..not really a show person, glad I went. Blue lagoon comfort food great. Back deck dining out side covered and uncovered. Bartenders VERY friendly even when they were obviously tired. Hanna in Alilzar dining room..the best we have ever had..she is great!

BAD: Grand Pacific dining on the first night. (hoping it was due to a busy new year's cruise week) It took us 2 1/2 hours from start to finish to get seated and served.  seemed to be ignored by waiter most of the time.  Food was missing or out when we ordered (were there 6-8:30) Not usual NCL standards.  Didn't know we could make reservations for dinner online ahead of time.  Would have been nice to know.  They even lost our reservation for our birthday dinner that my TA had made way in advance and I had a paper copy of.  Other than these 2 occasions, Dinner was fine. Tendering at Belize was awful.  I know it was due to port issues, but 2 1/2 hours to get off was crazy.  Would LOVE to have a kiosk or bills to be viewed on the TV like on other ships.  This ship seems to be out of date on many things available on other ships.  The 4th person in the cabin was my 6'4" son who was given a cot in the middle of the room to sleep on..unacceptable, but nothing they could do.  :(  Alcohol situation...rule says one card per drink. They had alcohol flowing like daughter underage and my niece VERY underage were served drinks all week.  My daughter took grandmothers card first day..made friends with bartenders and never showed a card after the first day and was served so much alcohol.  This was not a problem for anyone in my party, but the legalistic mother.  The final thing...when there is a rule about no shorts in the main dining room and we count 8 people every 30 min coming in with shorts, junky t shirts and some with ball caps...this ruins the experience we dressed up for.  I know ship employees are probably NOT allowed to tell anyone no, so lets ditch the dress code all together.  UGH...

like that it was close to 3 dining venues and a lounge..easy to find
Houston, Texas
Galveston better than this port at Bayport
Belize City, Belize
Never stay in the an excursion! Gotta snorkel off Cay Caulker at Coral Gardens
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
Go to Half Moon Bay

Jade needs some updating.