Norwegian Jade Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Dated ship, boring menu, appalling entertainment

Sail Date: June 07, 2014

Room Type: Suite

The Norwegian Jade was apparently designed for cruises to Hawaii. The crazed multi-colored decor looks llike it was designed by a drunken person who doesn't have much of a grip on reality and is stuck in the '70s. If we were wearing leisure suits, it woul dhave been fine. Our stateroom alone had wave-patterened multicolored blue carpet, one purple panel and the rest orange and green. The rest of the ship equally lacked tatse, including the massive glass flower design over the atruium that made me worry it would fall on my head. Most of the carpets I would call drunk carpets, meaning that isf someone up=chucked on them, no one wouild notice.

The food was lackluster, even in the specialty restaurants, (with the exception of Moderna, which was excellent). The menu was the same every night in the main dining room, with a couple of specials.  Steaks were overcooked and I actually rejected the "pork loin" one wngith which was one of those processed rolls. I've never done that before. Actually the greate4st variety was in the Garden Cafe, the buffet, including nightly Indian offerings. Alas, the buffet had absolutely no atmosphere.

Then there was the entertainment or lack thereof: The first night's teaser left us scrambling for the exit. The only bright spot was Elements, the dance, acrobatic act which was excellent. We walked out on the "American Idol" night, which was downright embarrasingly poor. I've heard better singins at high school musicals. Another bright spot was the guitarist who played several evenings in the Atrium bar.

Oh, and the pool: This is a ship that ccarries 2,400 passengers. There is one adult pool that is not much bigger than your average residential pool. This is totally inadequate. I can only guess they used the extra space for more specialty restaurants where they can make more money.

That's pretty much the bad stuff.

Here's the good stuff: The ship was exceptionally clean, staff attentive and service was far above average. The poor folks who were required to do the annoying "Happy Happy Wasshee Washee" hand sanitizing gig did so with good humor to the point where I felt real affection for them by the end of the cruise.

We've traveled on Holland America, where the food was far better, but the clientel much older. That;'s why we chose Norwegiian, thinking we'd get a little more stimulation. I dont' think we'll sign on for another cruise with Norwegiian.

Other than crazy decor, cabin was spacious, clean and comfortable.
Venice, Italy
Venice is magic! Warning: travel from aiport or train station to the cruise port is difficult. No taxis.
Corfu, Greece
Beautiful island. Great beaches,
Santorini, Greece
Oia should not be missed.
Mykonos, Greece
There are tiny beaches right in the town. HIhgly reocmmend trip to ruins at Delos. You can do it cheaply by just buying a ticket in town rather than the expensive shore excursion.
Katakolon (Olympia), Greece
Not much to do there except the Olympic birthplace, which is lovely and shady (as opposed to sun-baked Delos)..