Norwegian Jade Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Phenominal Experience!

Sail Date: June 01, 2011

Room Type: Suite

Norwegian had rave reviews and lent a hand in my selection although the reviews I read all said the food left a lot to be desired. I did not find this to be the case at all and in fact was more pleased with the free dining than the specialty restaurants.

Gary, the cruise director was exceptional!

All staff members (from the directors holding signs at the port, to check-in, to housekeeping, to cooks, to performers, to luggage holding after debarkation) were the friendliest and most plesant group of people imaginable.

The casino options were fantastic and there was so much to do that no single part of the ship was overcrowded and almost no lines for anything.

For travellers comfortable navigating in new places, I'd strongly recommend making your own adventure at ports; my boyfriend and I pre-booked an excursion for each stop and although 2 of them were exceptional, 2 were fairly poor. For the cost it wasn't worth it to us but the convenience and set up for excursions is rather nice, regardless of the itinerary. The staff made it very easy to be in the right place at the right time and the excursions promote a stress-free vacation since all you have to remember to do is wake up in the morning!

Pros: Ease of travel

Cons: 2 of the 4 excursions were a bit disappointing

Recommends Norwegian Jade? Yes!

Extremely well maintained and clean. I never saw a dirty spot or unmaintained table, restroom, bar, etc.
The specialty restaurants weren't too pricy and the ambiance was very romantic and felt classy. The free dining areas had perfect operating hours, GREAT food, and something for everyone at every meal. WELL DONE!
We stayed in a junior suite. I highly recommend any room with a balcony; the suite felt like the size of a motel room and was much roomier and nicer than I would have imagined. Worth every penny!
There was a smile and greeting from every staff member, every time. I was beginning to think they didn't have personal problems - 100% professional and 100% willing to help, answer questions, or get whatever you asked for right then and there. Unbelievable staff across the board!
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
I went to the Acropolis and saw a quick tour of the city by bus. I would not recommend this particular tour and would suggest an option that allows for stops at several historical sites or venture off independently.
Izmir, Turkey
I did the beach break in Izmir. It turned out to be a fancy resort and was one of the most amazing places in terms of beauty, experience, and NO CROWDS! The only drawback was the long drive (1+45 each way) with a short 3 hours at the resort/beach. Turkey is my favorite country but I've been here before. I would recommend one of the site tours for someone that wants to experience one of the greatest places on earth. Again, great excursion to the beach but there was nothing local to experience at all on this trip.
Split, Croatia
Best excursion of the trip! I went canoeing on the Cetina. It took a few minutes to gear up (when they say don't bring sunglasses, camera, backpacks, etc, they mean it). They provided wet suits or wet suit shorts, padded water shoes, helmets, and life jackets. The suits and shoes were strongly recommended but the helmets and jackets were mandatory. There were plenty of guides to help with the group and it was plenty of activity - about 3 hours in the canoes. The picnic afterwards was grilled meats, vegetables, bread, salad, sodas, beer, and water. Great food, great guides, EXCELLENT trip!!
Don't Miss: Canoeing on the Cetina - fabulous excursion!
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Beautiful area! I took the biking excursion with my boyfriend. The description and photos look like it will be off the beaten path - through a forest, etc but it was on the paved street the whole time and VERY short. Although I still had a great time, it wasn't physically challenging and could have been much more adventurous for the price. There were about 3 hours after the excursion to check out the large souvenier shop by the ships or explore the town by bus independently. The wine tasting consisted of a nice old building where everyone was able to taste 3 types of locally produced wine and make purchases before getting back on the bus.