Hair raising, eye opening experience!

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Getaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail date: December 22, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Getaway

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 9908

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

A man with some dementia was walking on the awning for the restaurants below our stateroom (see the photos to explain). He was scared and did not know how he got there. It was at sea, rocky and DARK (10:00 PM). We called the ships 911 and the agent argued with me on the phone and did not know the layout of the ship. The agent then hung up on me. The man disappeared and we thought he went overboard for sure. Called 911 again and no one showed up at our cabin. I went to the hall and started screaming help and knocking on doors. Neighbors called 911 also. The man then came walking back and my husband settled him down and got him to come to our railing, then he grabbed his arm. The man was larger than my husband and strong. I was very nervous that my husband could be pulled overboard. Then security came around the back of the ship on the awning slowly and up against the wall. They then finished helping my husband and I getting the man over the rail and then needed help themselves to get over. They went through our room and to medical. The securities response was horrible, and put everyone at risk! No report was taken and I hear that is normal so these situations are not recorded. Talked with the captain at the Latitudes party and they said they would call for us to give a statement, but of course did not happen. The man was saved two days before Christmas!!! So good news there!

Embarkation

not as expected

Ship experiences

fair to good

Few activities, considering the amount of people on board. Lines and more lines.

The ones you could get into were good.

The staff was excellent until it came to the service desk, security and the officers. They were cold and untrained. The security being untrained was a danger to everyone.

To large for our preference, dangerous areas. All was very clean.

Cabin assistant was wonderful, all as expected.

Ship tip

Do not do it. Security is untrained & unresponsive, resulting in one man almost losing his life.

Ports of call

New Orleans, Louisiana

Did a city tour prior to getting on the ship, it was good. New Orleans is a blast. Good food, nice people and great music.

Excursion canceled, shopping OK.

Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Disney land type port. No excursion.

Harvest Caye, Belize

A cleaner Disneyland type port. No excursion.

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico

Ok beach experience, not great.

Disembarkation

It was the typical hurry up and wait situation.

Traveler Photos

Bolts stick up about 2" to 3" and no railing. The night view 9th floor balcony.  Easy access to the awning.