Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Awesome trip

Sail Date: December 27, 2014

My family (2 adults and 1 child who tuned 13 on the trip) had an awesome time aboard the Norwegian Getaway.  We sailed over the New Years holiday and I would say this was our best cruise yet.  We have sailed over the past 18 years on multiple cruise lines.  The first was Carnival on the Carnival Destiny and the last was on the Disney Magic.  We have also cruised on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.  The Getaway was very clean and just a beautiful ship.  Tons of places to eat and all food venues had very good food, including the buffet.  I really never had a bad meal.  We did eat at both the free/included dining options such as the buffet, Irish Pub and the Tropicana Room as well as eating at the dining options which charged a fee.  We dined at Cagney's, Ocean Blue, Tapanykai, Sushi, and La Cuchina.  All of the food was very good and I found the options to be different at each place.  Some cruises just serve the same food in different rooms and there isn't much variety.  On this food the food was always different and very good.  We purchased the all you can drink package which came in handy since drinks are very expensive as on all cruises.  Our daughter participated in the kids club.  She turned 13 on the cruise and was able to switch clubs however she wanted to stay with the original group since they were so much fun.  I believe the teen club started at age 13.  She had a spectacular time and spent more time with the kids club than with us.  She barely got a tan.  The kids club staff was excellent and they put on a circus variety show at the end of the cruise.  Simply awesome experience.  My only request would be for a phone system as on the Disney ships to help coordinate meeting up on the ship.  I think they did have an application that could be downloaded on a smartphone for such issues however we didn't know about this till day 4 of the trip.  I would still prefer a phone system such as the Disney.

The waterpark area on the boat was really cool with fun slides and near this area they had a ropes course and mini golf area.  Really fun for families and small kids.

My husband and I also joined the Vibe Beach Club which provided  a separate area for adults only with 2 hot tubs and lounge chairs.  I will say the 2 main pools on the ship seemed very crowded during peak tanning times.  I was very happy we purchased the Vibe option so we could easily get a seat and lay out.

We previously sailed on NCL on a Hawaiian trip and I was less than impressed.  I was hesitant to sail again on NCL however this boat looked fantastic and reviews were good. I was not disappointed and will sail again with NCL.

Marvin our room steward was so nice. Even brough us our cell phone which we left in the room.
Awesome kids club, very nice staff and our daughter loved it. She turned 13 on the cruise and stayed with the younger kids club becasue the were so much fun.
Cabin / Stateroom Nice room - seemed a bit smaller than other cruises however we didn't spend much time in the room.

If you want a more private area to hang out join the Vibe Beach Club. We joined on the day we left port because I hear they sell out. It was never very crowed and we always had a seat.