Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Second Mate

Never again!!

Sail Date: March 27, 2015

First and foremost I am a gold latitudes member of NCL therefore I have traveled many times with this fleet, this past trip was absolutely awful! The food was horrible, the servers were miserable as if they didn't want to be there and worst of all BJ's false advertised that I would get a 50 dollar onboard credit that I never received when I called to inquire why? I was told it was due to me not being a rewards member and just a regular member! That information was not conveyed to me before the trip! The ship was clean and nice but food is not the same you used to get lobster one night you don't get it unless you pay and then it's overcooked like eating a rubberband! The chocoholic buffet is no longer they put out a few pieces of chocolate cake and one ice sculpture and expect you to enjoy that! Room Fees 12.95 per person 52 per cabin is highway robbery! You pay enough to get on the damn boat then they sock you for extra and honestly if the service was good I probably wouldn't complain about that, but the service was awful and John in the Java café needs to learn what good customer service skills are! we saw the cruise director twice on an 11 day cruise, not cool, not sure where he was hiding or what he was doing, but he sure wasn't directing!!! I am going to try Holland America I hear they are very good and I am also going to book via cheap , DONE with lies as this happened not once but twice this is not baseball there are not 3 strikes, two and your OUT!

Cruise Photos

It's a nice ship however two many kids running around unatended
Food was horrible and the same day after day no new choices menu stayed the same
Crew was miserable as if they didn't want to be there, service was slow and servers were rude
Nothing like it used to be, it was so so, we left two shows because they put us to sleep
I wouldn't know did not use children's programs although their were to many kids unatended on the ship
Very pricey ontop of room fees excursion fees, tips and expenses
they took us to tortola on good friday everything was closed due to holiday it was raining nothing to do
It was away from all the other rooms we had no neighbors so it was perfect very quiet accept for when they lowered the lifeboats to tender us into the islands it was so loud we had to leave the room, but 98% of the time it was quiet, the room was small the lights didn't all work and the vent in the bathroom was broken but it was a very quiet room.
New York, New York
People at the pier were rude but boarding was kind of quick and easy
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Great port nice people no issues lot of traffic though careful crossing the street
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Nice, people were friendly however didn't feel safe lots of barters and no police in sight
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
friendly felt safe here shopped prices were fair and people were very welcoming
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
place looked like a war zone, pier had been hit by a ship it was a mess they were constructing on the island and there were buldozers and holes everywhere it was cordoned off and only a cement walkway that led to a parking lot, also no polce and lots of barters felt extremely unsafe would NEVER GO BACK to this island or would stay on board due to safety concerns

No cell service and purchasing internet minutes cost a fortune so beware you will have no access to your friends and family until you reach an island and even then it cost a fortune to text or call, better to purchase phone cards ahead of time. Bring a watch the only way to know what time it is.