Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Europe - Eastern Mediterranean

Could have been better

Sail Date: September 04, 2010

My wife and I took this cruise for our honeymoon and i think the ship itself is beautiful but the reception staff were very cold and uncaring about your needs. The food was not great and the only restaurant open after 10:30 pm was the blue lagoon which only served the same fast food every day. I have cruised before with royal caribbean and carnival and the food was 10X better. The itineraries were ok, could have avoided nafplion greece and dubrovnik croatia, nothing to really see or do there. My wife and I did enjoy Athens Greece and Izmir Turkey. go to Cesme beach in Izmir, beautiful!!! I want to take another norweigan cruise back in the US just to see if my complaints are mainly overseas in the mediterranean.

Pros: freestyle cruising, laid back atmosphere

Cons: small state rooms, reception staff rude and uncaring, food was not great

Recommends Norwegian Gem? Yes!

reception staff
good activities
Nice sized ship, updated, new.
Food was horrible
small state rooms, more cramped than older ships i have been on. unacceptable for a newer ship.
Izmir, Turkey
My wife is turkish and the people were friendly and helpful, very good cafes and food, very liberal city, lots of public transportation. DO NOT TAKE TAXIS!!! they will rip you off. use the otobus (autobus in english).
Don't Miss: must see the beach areas in Cesme (pronounced Cheshme).
Dubrovnik, Croatia
old city, nothing to do but see old castles and croatians are very rude people.
Don't Miss: nothing
Nafplion (Nauplion), Greece
old city, nothing to see at all except an ancient castle which is perched atop a huge hill with 1,000 steps up.
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
ancient city with alot of history, very nice people.
Don't Miss: see the acropolis, which contains the parthenon