Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Europe

Third Mate

The Cruise only gets a "good" review for one major reason.

Sail Date: November 29, 2015

The Norwegian Epic was an enormous cruise ship. It had 17 levels and held 4,000 passengers. The basic problem with the ship was Norwegian did not hire enough staff. The following are a few examples of my experience that back up this comment. We were 8 women traveling together. We often spent our afternoons on Deck 16 at the H20 bar. There were often 20-30 people at that bar and it was staffed with only 2 bartenders. Very rarely was anyone available to come to your table to ask if you wanted anything so you had to go to the bar and wait for at least 5-10 minutes to get a drink and longer if you wanted a frozen mixed drink. The same was true at the bar across from Sheehan's, the Irish Pub. If you wanted a drink, once again no one came to you, you had to go to the bar and wait. This bar too was very crowded so waiting 10-15 minutes could happen.

The day we were arriving in Gran Canaria, we had a confirmation that we were on a Shore Excursion, however, tickets were never delivered to our cabin. Considering that we had two days at sea and one in Morocco prior to Gran Canaria, we should have received our tickets, but we never got them. On the evening prior to arriving at Gran Canaria, I went to the Shore Excursion desk, but they were closed. So I went to the customer service desk and they advised that they couldn't do anything about it and that the Shore Excursion desk would be open at 6:00 a.m. The day we arrived at Gran Canaria. I awoke early because our excursion was to leave at 9:15 a.m. and I wanted to have the tickets prior to the shore excursion meeting time. There was no one at the Shore Excursion desk that morning and I was told to wait by the Epic theater where staff would be to assist. No one arrived until 8:30 a.m. and initially told me there was nothing they could do. Finally, someone else arrived and told me to follow him to the Shore Excursion desk. They were finally able to either print new tickets or give me the tickets they never delivered to my cabin. I do not understand how NCL could allow no one to be at the Shore Excursion Desk when Shore Excursions were happening and guests may need help or assistance.

Our cabin steward was excellent, our cabin number was 11287 and I am sorry that I cannot remember the steward's name, but it was something like Katut. Although he was very good at his job, our cabin was in great need of repairs. Our telephone did not work. Our headset did not allow us to talk to anyone and although I could hear a message, I could not call anyone back. This took 3 days to repair. On the first day at sea, I noticed that I could not change the channel on our TV. I reported this to our cabin steward and to customer service at their desk. This also took 2 days to be repaired and numerous wires had to be replaced in order for it to work. On the next to last day of the cruise, our TV and both 110 outlets died. This time our cabin steward was able to report it and it was taken care of within a few hours. NCL needed more staff working on the electrical problems as I understand there were many on board.

For these reasons I could not rate the cruise with more than a "good" rating.

Except for the fact that most of the electrical things didn't work, i.e. telephone, TV, outlets, we loved our cabin, however, the one comment I have is that the drawers should have been bigger. You could not fit most items in one and there were two of us sharing. Our friends had 10287 and their cabin was set up better allowing them to have full length drawers that fit much more clothing.
Except for the problems of the large group from Iraq in front of us at Embarkation, I thought NCL handled this process beautifully.
Just too big!
All excellent!
There were so many things to do on board, we were never bored. Great Cruise director!
The entertainment was the best part of the ship. The shows were excellent and the band that played in the Cavern on a regular basis was the best EVER!
The only great staff I had was Maria in the Spa. She gave me one of the most fabulous massages I have ever had. Our cabin steward, Katut has quite good but nothing to rave about. Overall, the staff did what they could, but there was never enough available.
The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either, just ok.

The ship's itinerary was excellent and if you read the information given to you each evening you will know exactly what was going on the following day.