Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Higher expectations

Sail Date: September 25, 2011

We sailed NCL Epic out of Barcelona, Spain. The ports we visited were Florence, Rome, Naples, and Palma. Overall we enjoyed our cruise mostly because we traveled with our parents and enjoyed watching them enjoy themselves! I had expected more from such a new and large ship but was a bit disappointed. The cabins were tiny and we had a Family Balcony. I cannot imagine more than two people in our cabin! The food was average, a bit above hotel food in my opinion. There are too many extra charge restaurants which seemed to make the dining rooms crowded. The best food we had was in Rome while ashore. We only saw our room steward twice in 7 days. The shows were good, we enjoyed the 3 we attended. I would not seek another NCL cruise but if the time, ports and price were perfect I would cruise NCL again; now that I know what to expect!

Pros: Ports of call

Cons: The food!

Recommends Norwegian Epic? Yes!

Much area for improvement.
Tiny, hard for two people to walk past the bed at the same time. Lots of storage but again hard for two people to get into at the same time. The sink was in the room so if one person is up earlier they disturb the other sleeping. The hair dryer was in the room in what I expect was supposed to be a dressing area with a stool. The hair dryer was not moveable from this area so again, you disturbed those sleeping. The beds were comfortable, the "couch" was extremely uncomfortable. The curtain separating the head/shower from the rest of the room was not very useful and in the way when not in use.
New ship, very clean, very big and a bit hard to navigate!
The staff by the pool area were the most friendly. The hostess at O'Sheehan's was nothing but smiles! Overall we were impressed with the staff, sans our steward!
We enjoyed the 3 shows we attended; the cost for the "dinner theater" wasn't worth the food but Cirque Dreams was very good especially since it was so close and personal!
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
We took the train to Rome to wander the streets alone. We had done Rome on an excursion with another cruise operator and were comfortable enough to attempt our own tour. The train station was easy to find and quick enough to provide ample time in the city. I suggest paying extra for the fast intercity train! We had already toured the Vatican and the colosseum so this trip was just a photo journey.
Don't Miss: Find an outdoor cafe to sit, eat a bite, drink some vino and people watch!
Naples, Italy
We did the excursion to Capri. This was our favorite stop! The island was beautiful though horribly crowded with tourists. Our guide was amazing, very interesting and helpful. The shopping was fabulous! We found out that the lunch we had on this excursion was the same that our parents had on their excursion to Pompeii/Amalfi/Sorrento, which was not the best!
Don't Miss: The views of the island/sea from the top of the city!
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
We did the Cinque Terre excursion. Again, I expected more from friends/family experiences I've heard. It was very quick, we walked a lot but didn't see much. Would have preferred to do this on our own.
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
We did the Spectacular Scenery & Flavors excursion with our parents. The tour guide was terrible. We did see some great scenery but if you're the least bit car sick this is NOT the tour for you! We visited an old farm/winery which was supposed to have people dressed in period clothing performing daily tasks but there were only the women you got your picture taken with at the entry. The farm/manor house and surrounding gardend were nice; we got some great pictures. DON'T drink the wine - it was awful!
Don't Miss: The drive up through the mountains!