Clean ship, fantastic entertainment and great customer service

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)
Sail Date: March 06, 2016
Ship: Norwegian Dawn

The check-in process in New Orleans was smooth.  It took half an hour total.  We had booked a guarantee balcony and it was a spacious room with a beautiful view.

We were very happy with the food on the ship.  We are not very picky eaters and we loved the variety and quality.  We quite liked the freestyle dining.  We didn't eat at any specialty restaurants.  The Aqua food was good, not great.  The Bamboo was just okay.  The Venetian had good food and we also shared a table with 3 other couples and enjoyed that.  We also enjoyed the Garden Cafe and ate there often, sometimes even for dinner.

The entertainment was great!  Most of it was family-friendly which I appreciated.  We really enjoyed Jocka and Maria and The Second City.

The customer service of the crew was fantastic.  Every worker was happy, kind, and smiling. I was really impressed with the workers all over the ship.

We didn't use the pool or the hot tubs much.  There were a lot of college students on spring break and they hogged the hot tubs most of the time.  It was also windy most days and so we weren't looking to get wet.

We didn't book any excursions through Norwegian.  At Cozumel, we rented a scooter and rode around the island, stopping at a couple of places to snorkel.  (We brought our own gear).  In Roatan we went snorkeling at West Bay Beach.  We just went in a van with a company that was at the dock.  It cost us $15 round trip per person.  A person from the company stayed with us there the whole time we were there.  The snorkeling at West Bay was amazing!!!  The beach was crowded but we paid $10 each to use the facilities of the resort where they dropped us off (shower, bathroom, pool, wifi, beach chairs).  We did have an excursion booked in Belize through Coral Breeze.  They took us on a 40-minute boat ride to Caye Caulker where we snorkeled at Shark Ray Alley and also out at the reef.  Then we had about an hour on the island before they took us back to the port.  I would recommend that company to anyone looking to do that excursion. I booked it online before we went.  We didn't get to stop in Costa Maya, as it was too windy.

I loved this cruise, the ship, the itinerary.  I would recommend it.

We loved having a balcony! The view was amazing. There were some clicking noises in the night coming from the ceiling I think and it woke me up the first night. After that, I didn't notice it much. We liked being on the 9th floor. It was between the pool/cafe deck and the 7th deck where a lot of the entertainment is.
Great snorkeling at Sky Reef and Money Bar. Both are free beaches.
Snorkeling at West Bay Beach is the best I've ever seen.
Snorkeling at Shark Ray alley was my favorite. Definitely worth the trip