Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Someone who can compare

Sail Date: March 22, 2007

The ship itself was lovely, but a bit dirty. When we first embarked, there was no greeting, no nothing. It was very disorganized as you saw people running around with their lifejackets on as they participated in their tender drill. It was mayhem, and the initial whiff of scent was urine. I was hoping it was not a prelude of things to come, but it didnt get much better after that.

Pros: Freestyle dining

Cons: The extra charges on top of the manditory gratuities....It never ended

Recommends Norwegian Dawn? No.

As stated above, the staff on this cruise stunk! Snotty, bothered and plain ole' rude would be some ways to describe them. It really was the exception to find someone with a nice attitude and a smile. The norm was a crabby face and an even worse attitude. The front desk concierge lady was a sweetie..she even called us by name. Pretty impressive considering that the ship was at maximum capacity and we didnt even go to the front desk very often. Guess it was just our New York charm :). Overall, the staff on board couldnt be bothered to even say "Hello", or "Good Evening". They just sort of walked around like zombies performing at minimum task and thinking that they were doing you a favor.
Confusing ship. Very broken up from where you could pick up elevators and from where you could access certain floors. It was okay clean, and it seemed to get cleaner as we cruised. I either got used to the urine smell, or it actually disappeared. Im not quite sure. A bit gaudy, but you expect that from a ship. The elevator glass and mirrors ALWAYS had handprints and smootch on the buttons. You would never see that on Royal or Celebrity.
I liked the food. Pretty good stuff. I loved the fact that there were so many different choices. The surcharge dining was worth every penny. I highly recommend the hibatchi place (Teppanyaki) and the Sushi was awesome. The chef at Sushi was fun!!! The nicest of the dining rooms was Aqua. The service and staff on the whole was NOT friendly or overly accomodating. It was sort of like they were doing you a favor. I can count on one hand the staff that performed at a level that you would expect....the rest of the staff was certainly nothing to write home about. I dont know if it was the end of the tour for most of the staff, or if they were all just having bad hair days, or what their problems were, but they were NOT friendly, and there was a HUGE language barrier with a lot of the staff in the smaller cafe's and cafeteria. None of the staff seemed to be happy or we were bothering them. It was a bit annoying and certainly unacceptable!
we had a junior suite w/balcony. Our cabin stewards were GREAT!!! Room got cleaned from head to toe twice a day, and our bathroom was always spotless. Clean towels and fresh smelling digs were always a welcome sight and smell at the end of the night.
ATTITUDE!!!! They either dont like kids, or they were just tired....not quite sure!
They seemed to be bothered that they had to deal with peoples kids. HELLO....thats what you are there for. I tipped overly generous (and not just at the end of the cruise, but all throughout). A comment was made to me (from one of the kids crew) that "Awh, poor *insert childs name here* is coming here again? Im sure *insert childs name here* would rather be out in St. Thomas with mom and dad.
Okay, so we had 5 ports to visit. Three of which child stayed on board. One of those ports included a visit to the hospital for another child. The other two ports were all shore excursions including parasailing and snorkeling and horse back riding and ATV'ing. Participation age for all of the above was way older than said child being put in port play. I didnt think it was her place to voice her opinion as to how many ports said child was going to participate in. After all, its $5.00 an hour for them to stay. Who
Not bad......we had fun at the shows, and the games and stuff. We didnt do too many of these things, but the few that we did do, we had a good laugh, or were entertained.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Don't Miss: Magans bay!
Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.

Don't Miss: beaches!!!!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
family loved this port, although me and one of my children spent the time at the hospital. The rest of the family had a blast, and when we did meet up that night, we had a great time talking to the residents of the area and walking around the open air market that is right near the ship. We had some great food that we spent next to nothing on...and overall loved the energy this place had. Hey, if you must visit a hospital, I have to say that it was spotless, the Doctors were wonderful and they were very very nice and accomodating.
Don't Miss: According to my family......dont miss a thing.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
it rained a lot, so it hindered the trip, but certainly the ship isnt responsible for that. Met a lot of natives and we has a blast with them!!!!!