This was my 7th cruise and the quality of Norwegian was the worst.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Breakaway

7 Night Western Caribbean (New Orleans Roundtrip)

Sail date: March 10, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 11310

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

I don’t think that I would cruise Norwegian again. Of the 5 different cruise lines that I have been on, they were the worst.

Embarkation

Well organized and relatively quick

Ship experiences

All of the complimentary dining rooms had mediocre food and service was very slow with the exception of the 1st night. Overall the serve staff appeared to be overworked and at times surly.

We untilized the “adult only” pool and hot tubs but unfortunately there was no one to supervise the area and children were allowed to have full use of the adult area.

We had booked the Cirque show well in advance and it was excellent and well worth the money. The complimentary shows filled up quickly and we were unable to see the ones we wanted

The overall food and bar service was very slow. At times, we had to wait 20 - 25 minutes to have our dirty dishes removed and our desert order taken. The specialty restaurants were a little better but did not meet the the standard of what I would consider fine dining. The only exception to this were Ocean Blue and the Japanese Steak house. Both of these were excellent. The room steward was friendly and promptly completed any request that we made. He even went out of his way every night to bring ice to one of the members in our party who has an injury.

The ship appear to be maintained. Layout was not as convenient as other ships that I have been on but it was ok

The cabin was nice and we really enjoyed the larger balcony. The room steward did a very good job everyday.

Ship tip

Be ready for a ship that always seems crowded with overall subpar food and bar service. The open bar perk was nice but not worth having to fight your way to the bar and wait 10-20 minutes for a drink.

Ports of call

New Orleans, Louisiana

I have been to this city many times and it is one of my favorite cities to visit

We did a 3 stop snorkeling excursion that was booked through Norwegian and it was excellent. Did not have time to do much exploring of the port

Belize City, Belize

Did an excursion to the Mayan Ruins booked through Norwegian and it was very good. The port seemed to offer very little of you didn’t do an excursion.

Disembarkation

Over disembarkation was about average