Terrific Alaska Cruise

Noordam Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

7 Night Glacier Discovery Northbound (Vancouver To Seward)
Sail Date: July 02, 2017
Ship: Noordam
Cabin Type: Suite
The weather was just fantastic for our early July cruise. Fortunately for us this was following three weeks of rain for all the prior cruises. Weather can cancel your excursions which is unfortunate, but you would rather that than waste your money not seeing anything or worse put yourself in danger. It's expensive to go to Alaska, but well worth it if your looking for tall mountains, wildlife, and great seafood. Also consider the land portion for those that really want to get closer to the animals and see more of them.
Organized and efficient. It didn't take more than an hour.

The main dining room features great northwest seafood dishes and a variety of other items that are quite delicious. The specialty restaurant Pinnacle is worth a try and has it's own separate kitchen. Don't miss out on the main dining surf and turf night. The lido buffet is ok. It can be quite busy and the food preparation isn't as good as you might expect of a buffet.

The fitness center has a great view overlooking the entire front of the ship. It's great to use some of the equipment and view the beautiful surroundings. Don't expect much from the onboard activities, they have the typical indoor pool, outdoor pool, casino, art gallery, fitness classes, movies, cooking demonstrations, and naturalist talks, but you'll likely be out enjoying the ports of call or the amazing landscape.

Lots of evening entertainment but designed for an older skew. They did have a comedian, magician, and singers/dancers for the main performers. The clubs feature your assortment of jazz, classical, and pop culture music.

I don't have kids and no children's programs that I saw.

Extremely friendly and pleasant staff.

The ship is very clean and the layout makes it easy to navigate. The style is an older elegance.

Tight quarters for three people, but you can make it work. The balcony is large and gives a nice vantage point to view the scenery. The beds are ok. The bathroom was also larger than my expectations. Very clean. Personally I didn't spend much time in the cabin and when I did I was either on the balcony or sleeping.

Bring a good pair of binoculars because if there are wildlife sightings they will often be very far away and you will need decent magnification if you want to see clearly.

Vancouver is worth visiting in its own right. An interesting city with lots of food options and outdoor activities.
Visit the historic "redlight" district and I recommend the salmon fishing here.
There are many things to do here at the capital. Take advantage of them. I recommend the dog sledding on mendenhall glacier.
Another historic city and worth the walk in to the small downtown to see the main street.

Seward (Anchorage), Alaska Did not visit port

Disembarkation only
I visited here because of an excursion that brought us to an eagle preserve through Haines. I would recommend the eagle preserve.
If you're doing the land journey, the hand off coordination isn't that great, but you'll get to where you need to go if you ask enough people and read your mail.